New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Panther startup problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

psymon

Recently installed Panther with noi problems. Yesterday I ran Norton Systemworks Disk Doctor and Speed Disk. I now get a black screen with this message in the upper left corner:

/etc/master.password: Not a directory
/etc/master.password: Not a directory
-sh:/etc/: Not a directory
-sh: 2.05b#

Have attempted Disk utility from the startup disk to repair permissions with no success. Sure would hate to have to rebuild the drive. BTW, the drive is partitioned with OS 9.2 on #2 and shared files on #3. The computer now boots to OS 9.2. I have to press the option key to even get it go to the drive that contains Panther.

Would be very grateful for any advice.

psymon
QUOTE Thanks
christophermac

Personally, I would advise re-installing mac Os x. it seems that in my experiences, there may be a problem w/ the system folder files or something. I am not an expert in how it starts up and what could lead to this problem, but usually with startup problems I have encountered, re-installing the OS did the trick

-christophermac
QUOTE Thanks
psymon

Thank you
That indeed was the solution and was not that much trouble to do either.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Able to sync to Mac and Windows? | Deleting Folders »