New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - problems with running disk utility in 10.3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kyrre

I'm trying to run the "verify disk permissions" under disk utility, since this seems like a good thing to do, and maybe repair any faults if there are any (I have been experiencing som wierd crashes lately)..

but it just runs to about 40% and then it stops, and says that it cant continue (not any reason) and to try later. and then I either quit or start over again - but if I try again, same thing always happends..

what can I do to solve this? and is it crucial to verify/repair disk permissions?
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Did you delete anything in your previous receipts folder? This will cause issues since previous receipts are what DU uses to verify permissions.

Yes,...repairing permissions is 100% necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
kyrre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork
Did you delete anything in your previous receipts folder? This will cause issues since previous receipts are what DU uses to verify permissions.

Yes,...repairing permissions is 100% necessary.
Uhm, well, I'm actually not quite sure where the Reciepts-folder is, so no, I probably haven't.. Any thing I can do manually to correct this, any settings in DU or something? Thanks for the advice so far.. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Try booting to your OS Install CD/DVD. You can run DU right from the CD/DVD. You might have better luck that way.
QUOTE Thanks
kyrre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork
Try booting to your OS Install CD/DVD. You can run DU right from the CD/DVD. You might have better luck that way.
oh yes, now it all worked very nicely. Thanks so much for the hints! :dive:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« View the properties of an Icon on the Dashboard | to upgrade or not upgrade??? »