New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

"USER CAPABILITIES" In user accounts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chester

:confused: OK. Heres the problem. Took a while just to understand the problem. In my "Finders" menu I discovered I could not click on certains features such as "BURN DISC" The odd thing is, is that I am the System administrater and can not click on "Capabilities" in the "Accounts" that allows me to make changes. ALL other users in the family can use all features. I have gone into the "Desk Info" and looked at the "Ownership Permissions" I have the "Owner " name correct. Group says "Staff (Me) and access read and write. Theres a problem some where within this I believe. One thing is for sure I can not burn Backup files (MUCH NEEDED) without correcting this problem.
[SIZE=2] ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA AS TO HOW TO REGAIN MY PERMISSSIONS?????????
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

boot up with the OS X cd, and go into Disk Utilities and repair permissions

QUOTE Thanks
Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt
boot up with the OS X cd, and go into Disk Utilities and repair permissions
Can not Bott from OS X CD because it says that it can not go on top of my up grades, Another words it forces you to quit because it is a 10. 1 (?) and I am using a 10.2.8. Any other way of using Disk Utilities or repairing permissions? This a headache!
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

it shouldnt quit the intaller if you dont click on anything. if you boot from the disk, and go to the menu and choose disk utility, it should work

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would not use a 10.1,x CD to repair permissions on an 10.2.x load.

You can use the disk utility application, located in the application utilities folder. After executing the application click on the OS X file system. Then click on the first aid tab, then click on the repair disk permissions button.
QUOTE Thanks
Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
I would not use a 10.1,x CD to repair permissions on an 10.2.x load.

You can use the disk utility application, located in the application utilities folder. After executing the application click on the OS X file system. Then click on the first aid tab, then click on the repair disk permissions button.
I agree with you that the older version 10. CD is not the way to go, although you can go to disk utility/verify permissions.
Yes, I have done a first aid tab (will only show Mac draft) A "Maxtor" is dimmed Menu commands. "Verify and Repair PERMISSIONS" are clickable NOT 'repair disks'. This has NOT solved the problem. I believe the problem lies within the way Owmership & Permissions is set up. Another words, if you go to "Get Info" in the file of the finders menu---and pull down Ownership & Permissions---here I have had to try changes, meaning that because the system would not allow me to click say "Capabilities" in the 'Accounts' (Log in) Even though it will say the computer's owner's name in the account along with the word "ADMIN" the last three commands are dimmed---NOT so with every one elses accounts. So I change "Owner" to 'System' and group to Staff (Me)--to NO avail. My last resort was to download a temporay "BURNZ" software that allows 10 Free burns---Much faster than the "Finder's" Burn Disc. Interesting that when you make a change in the Desktop Ownership & Permissions it says after that you "can not un- due this" One more thing after doing a Boot from the 10.CD and Disk Utility it concluded that all appeared OK. It is NOT OK and I still do not have access to all the finders menu commands.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to install panther from harddrive? | How to.... »