New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Booting off an external DVD drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

patton307

I have an old eMac that was given too me, G4 800mhz, etc. The only problem is that it has a cd drom drive and not a DVD drive. I want to do a clean install with tiger, but tiger is on a DVD. I was wondering if it is possible to boot the disc off of an external dvd drive, and if so, how do I do it? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It will work. A Firewire External DVD drive will be your best bet. I am not sure with the EMac if it will boot off of USB. Someone else here will know. Get a good External DVD Firewire drive and hold C with the Tiger DVD in the drive. If that does not work, go into the existing OS and to Startup Disc and select that external DVD drive and Reboot. I have had to install the same way on a few older Macs and it's always worked just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, you can't boot the emac off USB devices, so you'll need to get your hands on another mac with built-in dvd drive or on a firewire dvd drive.

Then you can either boot off the dvd drive, or boot the other mac off the dvd drive and install the OS too the emac.
QUOTE Thanks
Hussam1980

Hussam1980 is on a distinguished road

Ok I know this is an old post but I am having the same problem.
I have an older G3 ibook doesn't have a dvd and want to install tiger on it, I have another mac its G4 with a dvd built-in, what' best and easiest way to do it?

PS: operating system on the G3 ibook isn't working.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

- Connect the 2 Macs via a firewire cable
- Start the G4 and hold down the "T" key
- Insert the DVD into the G4
- Start the G3 and hold down the "option" key
- Select the DVD that appears after a few seconds
QUOTE Thanks
Hussam1980

Thank you, just one more Q since I am new to mac, I know that firewire is something similar to usb, I have found this cable online, is that what you meant?

Amazon.com: 4 to 4-pin IEEE 1394 iLink FireWire DV Cable FOR MAC/PC: Electronics

Thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Apple did make Tiger OS X.4 available on CD's, four of them from memory, for eMac users with no combo drive. You might find them on auction sites from time to time. Here is a place that sells them BUT take a deep breath before looking at the price!

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger on CD
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Gosh harry, I've never seen gold plated CDs before...

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Gosh harry, I've never seen gold plated CDs before...

Regards.
I think those ones were platinum!
QUOTE Thanks
Hussam1980

wow $300 this is nuts!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussam1980 View Post
Thank you, just one more Q since I am new to mac, I know that firewire is something similar to usb, I have found this cable online, is that what you meant?

Amazon.com: 4 to 4-pin IEEE 1394 iLink FireWire DV Cable FOR MAC/PC: Electronics

Thank you in advance!
Not quite: that's a 4-pin firewire connector. If you look on your Macs, you'll see that the connector is slightly bigger than that.

You need a 6-pin Firewire cable:
Amazon.com: Startech IEEE-1394 Firewire Cable 6-6 M/M - 15ft (Black): Electronics
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The "more info" section in the "Get Info" column | Not enough room left for backing up documents... »