New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Installing new applications and avoiding sleep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

static0verdrive

static0verdrive is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM

Hi guys!

I haven't posted here yet (I don't think), but I signed up a while ago, knowing I'd be getting a MacBook Pro as soon as I could afford it. I finally got it (and LOVE it), but I just have a few newbie-to-mac questions...

1) How do I install software that is on the DVD, such as Xcode?
2) How do I keep it from going to sleep when I close the lid?

I did check thoroughly through the System Prefs about #2 but couldn't find anything. I do have a few other minor pet peeves, such as not being able to just leave the k/b backlighting on (it shuts off if I turn my light on, but I still can't quite see the keys) but all-in-all I already know I won't be looking back!

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

1) I think the Dev Tools are an independent install. i.e. You have to check the box during the main install. Otherwise, download Pacifist and sort through the packages.

2) There's no system installed way to do it, you must use a 3rd party app like Sleepless.

Hope that helps.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
static0verdrive

static0verdrive is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM

Thanks for that! There's no real way to know these things when OS X comes installed for you...
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
2) There's no system installed way to do it, you must use a 3rd party app like Sleepless.
The PowerBook was able to do so (with an external screen attached), I didn't check it on the MacBook Pro yet.
To be honest, I wouldn't recomend it...The MacBook Pro get's pretty hot, hotter than any PowerBook. Leaving it on with the screen closed wouldn't do it much good...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Faxing and Airport Express? | HP PhotoSmart 2575 Driver »