New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

looking for a terminal emulator and command shell in Mac OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CandiMarie

Hi.

I have been looking everywhere to find a terminal emulator and command shell on my Mac. I run OS X 10.3. I know that Mac does keep everything hidden, so I might not be able to find what I am looking for. It is for my class, special assignment because I run a mac while everyone else in my class runs a PC. Nice huh.

So seeing as how OS X is based on Unix, or so Ive read on random sites which I have found while searching for a terminal emulator and command shell.

From what I understand, a terminal emulator and command shell is that command prompt on Windows which is MS Dos. Or I could be completly wrong. I dont know anything about Windows.

I would really appriciate it if some one could point me to the right direction for what I am looking for. I am going to try and get to the mall and ask teh genis at the apple store, after the holidays.

Thank you, and if I made no sense and you can help me out, I understand.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Well I think i am understanding what you are wanting.. If so.. go to

Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Then double click on Terminal.. there you'll see the unix backbone.. or as we like to call it.. Darwin
QUOTE Thanks
CandiMarie

Thank you so much. It worked. lOl all the searching I did and there it was under my nose. Thanks again.

CandiMaie
QUOTE Thanks
jerodhusvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandiMarie
Thank you so much. It worked. lOl all the searching I did and there it was under my nose. Thanks again.

CandiMaie
Don't feel bad, it took me 3 days to find it. I was too embarassed to ask anyone for help.

Jerod :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

*grin*
QUOTE Thanks
jerodhusvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
*grin*
Hey, watch the grins there, hot stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Whoops! doh! I didn't realize I was grinning.. it must have been subconscience
QUOTE Thanks
masaka___

mac people are so cute when they try to use unix
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

*rofl*
QUOTE Thanks
nomad

How can I start a terminal in mac os 9.2 french version ? )

thanx for the answer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBookG3, Panther & Palm software | 10.3.2 update prevents from connecting Macs to PCs over the net »