New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - UI Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dalton29

Dalton29 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 Dual 2Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram

I originally posted this problem in the Applications section thinking that I had a Mail problem but it has now migrated to my Address Book so I'm thinking this is either a User Interface or Operating System problem.

Basically, when I get new email the Rosette that shows the number of new emails is blank. When I enter Mail there is a strange white circle next to the Inbox where the grey circle with the number of new mail should be. The Headers on the email are also very spaced apart.

If I go into Address Book, the Headers are also very spaced apart and if I place the cursor over one of the headers I get a strange grey circle appear. Also, if I drag one of the side bars up or down all the type replicates or smudges.

I've tried the usual permissions rebuild, deleted preferences, reloaded both applications using Pacifist and run TechTool with no change.

I've attached a couple of images to show whats happening. Am I going to
have to re-install the OS?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (62.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (41.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 3.jpg (45.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5.jpg (46.4 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

That lower left image looks like a UI impression left by the iTunes widget.

List some hardware specs and software specs and it'll be easier for us to help you out.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Do you have an after market video card. Or is there a rom flash available. Can you try another card?
QUOTE Thanks
Dalton29

I'm running a G5 Dual 2 GHz with 1.5 Gb Ram. Its a standard ATI video card with 64 Mb VRam. I have no other video cards that I can try I'm afraid.

As for software, I'm using OSX 10.4.5, iLife 6 (although this problem was present before I updated from 5), Adobe Creative Suite 1 plus a few other apps that I've been running for a long time before this all started.

As of 15:30 today, this has now also spread to Safari (see picture). This problem seems to be getting worse but only seems to affect Apple applications.

I have also found that the problem isn't only on my username and effects others on my computer. Would starting in Safe Mode and dumping the System's main preferences work or could it be to do with receipts? I'm also wondering whether it could be a corrupt System Font.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (87.4 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Dalton29

Here's another quick screenshot showing the Rosette minus the number (I only just worked out how to do a delayed screenshot using 'Grab').
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic1.jpg (52.7 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Dalton29

Just in case anyone else is suffering the same problem, all this turned out to be a corrupt screen font. I don't know why I didn't check it earlier... doh!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« powerbook won't open files on dvd burnt on xp pc..? | Automatically launch a CD? »