Thread: Java and Flash

Java and Flash
    I read often that it's good to not have Java and Flash. Can you explain this? I downloaded Flash after getting a new computer because messages appeared saying Flash was needed to see such and such a video. Are there alternatives?

Thanks

Specs:
    2011 15" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, 2011 21.5 iMac, iPhone 7+
    Both Java (& Javascript) and Flash have been favored by malware creators as a way to infect your computer. One nice perk to having an Apple is that the vast majority - like 99.9% - is written for the Windows platform.

Most issues arise from out of date versions of the above programs. Keeping them up to date helps a lot. I also make Flash ask permission to run which can be set in the browser plus I have very strict settings in my System Preferences -> Flash Player (& Java).

One big perk to setting your browser to have flash ask to run is no more annoying adds running with sound that you don't want to see or hear.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your mac and Malwarebytes for Mac to remove malware infections.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Specs:
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by elizalee View Post
    Are there alternatives?
    If a website uses one of those technologies and don't themselves provide an alternative, then no.

Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    Both Java (& Javascript) and Flash have been favored by malware creators as a way to infect your computer.
    I'd remove Javascript from that list. Javascript, by design and implementation, can't do much to your machine. It's insulated and given little to no access to the machine that it runs on.

Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    One nice perk to having an Apple is that the vast majority - like 99.9% - is written for the Windows platform.
    Java and Flash exploits are popular and successful for one simple reason - they execute irrespective of the underlying OS. Java and Flash applications are platform agnostic and only rely on their respective runtimes, which work in similar ways across platforms. The only time that they become platform specific is if they run up an OS limit (write permissions for example) or are expressly written for one specific platform which, with cross platform runtimes, may actually require more work.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 7, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    Another vector to get past the security of OS X is for bad guys to send you fake notices that Java/Flash have an update/upgrade available and then send you to their own fake websites where they mimic the Adobe and Oracle sites and get you to download and install Malware. Get Flash from either Apple or Adobe directly, get Java from Apple or Oracle directly. Doing that way will then put some panes in System Preferences from which you can get the updates from the safe places. I have Flash installed, but blocked from operating without my ok, and on System Preferences there is a Flash Player pane on which I have selected the Notify me to install updates. That way, when an update comes in, I can go get it and not let it automatically install. I want to KNOW what is being installed on my system and I want to control that installation.

Specs:
    2011 15" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, 2011 21.5 iMac, iPhone 7+
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    I'd remove Javascript from that list. Javascript, by design and implementation, can't do much to your machine. It's insulated and given little to no access to the machine that it runs on.
    I have read a lot of articles that claim javascript can harbor malware but maybe I am interpreting it wrong.

Malware hides behind JavaScript, PNGs to bypass browser security | InfoWorld

How Hackers Use Javascript to Distribute Malware | InfosecStuff

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Java and Flash exploits are popular and successful for one simple reason - they execute irrespective of the underlying OS. Java and Flash applications are platform agnostic and only rely on their respective runtimes, which work in similar ways across platforms. The only time that they become platform specific is if they run up an OS limit (write permissions for example) or are expressly written for one specific platform which, with cross platform runtimes, may actually require more work.
    We could debate that but I basically agree.

So the original question of how safe are they - depends. And my suggestions were to keep them up to date and set your security settings on them high and make Flash ask to run.

Things are always changing with how secure they are, how they are exploited and what happens when they are. There are no guarantees.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your mac and Malwarebytes for Mac to remove malware infections.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

thanks for the relies...helpful indeed

Thread Information