New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - tiger installation crashed system...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lievenv

Hi everybody,

I just tried installing tiger on my G4 and the whole system crashed...

When the setup utility was verifying the installationdisk it told me some parts of it could not be read and to look for fingerprints and scratches (there are some scratches).

I, however, had the option to continue with the installation and I did.
After about 30mins of installing I got the message that the system couldn't continue with the installation. I had no other option than to force shutdown my machine, cos nothing else worked.

Now nothing works. The system won't boot at all. Not with any of the installation dvd's in the drive and not with nothing in the drive.
When I boot with a disk in the drive nothing happens at all, when I boot without, I hear the ping and then just a lightgray screen with a darkgray prohibition sign in the middle.

I am a little worried...
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Vincent
QUOTE Thanks
shetz

shetz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5

From the looks of it, your OS is trashed. I advise you to slave your current hard disk into another computer (if you haven't already backed up your files), and to boot using your original bundle CD/DVD (I advise using the original, so you can install the classic environment), while holding down 'C', to order your machine to boot from CD/DVD. Once installed, you could try upgrading your system (again, if upgrading was what you did last time).

You could also try the new Tiger installer you've got, but this would mean you'd still have to install your original OS 9 (I assume that this is your original OS...?)

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck.

He who laughs last will often find that he has no one to laugh with.
QUOTE Thanks
lievenv

Hi,

My original OS is 10.2.8 actually and unfortunately I don't have the original installation disks any longer...
The good news...I did backup my data, but didn't ghost my harddrive...
QUOTE Thanks
lievenv

Ok, so I got a new copy of Tiger. After trying just about every key combination that I know to try and boot up my mac with the new tiger installation dvd in the drive (still nothing worked), I looked some more on the internet and found out that apparently you can't just boot from an installation dvd. This is a problem since I don't have any other cd's/dvd's than installation ones...
Uhmmm, any ideas as to what I could try next?

Also, before when I booted up my mac I got the ping and then a gray screen with some harddrive activity and then the prohibition sign. Now I get nothing anymore. Black screen and no ping...

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
lievenv

After a zillion reboots, it suddenly fixed itself and started over with the upgrade.
Didn't lose any files.
Everything works.
Phew.
QUOTE Thanks
shetz

shetz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5

lol. I'm glad that your persistence paid off. Congratz.

He who laughs last will often find that he has no one to laugh with.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer; differences between Win & Mac | System Upgrade & Lost RESOLUTION 1344 x 756 »