LaunchPad Organization

LaunchPad Organization
    I rather like using LaunchPad, but I find the helter-skelter look of the icons so annoying that I tend to lose what time is saved just trying to find an app that is not used very often. I know I can take the time to alphabetize the icons by manually moving them, but surely I can have Mavericks do it for me, including putting any new app in its correct position the same way as it does in the finder. Am I goofy, or is there no such arrangement possible, other than manually?

LaunchPad Organization
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Well, you could always download and install "Launchpad Manager" for $7.99 from here or "Launchpad Control" from here for free.

If you really like to use Launchpad, the Launchpad Manager app ($7.99) is best as the free version mentioned above from MacWorld is very basic.

LaunchPad Organization

Thanks, chscag, for taking the time to answer. From your reply I get the feeling that LaunchPad is not a favorite of yours, how so?

LaunchPad Organization
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Frankly, I don't find Launchpad useful since I keep my favorite or most used apps on the Dock where they're easily selected. Everyone has their own personal way of doing things, however. If you like Launchpad, then one of the apps I mentioned above might be just what you need to enhance its use.

LaunchPad Organization
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Specs:
    2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Mavericks) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Maver
    Hi jacew

Apart from Launchpad, there are one or two swift ways of launching an app which might be of assistance or can be ignored, as you choose. They are inbuilt to OS X.

1. If you keep the Application Folder Alias in your Dock, you can click on it and start to type in the first few letters of the app. This will "jump" to that app & then just click it or hit Return to open it.

2. In exactly the same way, you can use Spotlight. Hit Cmd plus the Spacebar to bring up spotlight. Again start to type in the name of the app and it will come up as the first "hit". Hit Return and it opens.

Just a couple of ideas.

Ian
    Ian

LaunchPad Organization

Thanks to both chscag and IWT for helpful comments. I have been doing it like chscag, putting my most used apps in the Dock, but it's the app I seldom use that I am unable find quickly with LaunchPad because it is not sorted in a helpful manner. However, I can see how IWT's ideas can "find" the app for me without having to hunt for it. Thanks a lot, guys!

Thread Information