New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MS Word Paragraph freezes document

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lynne

Lynne is on a distinguished road

In a Word document, when I try to use the Paragraph or Bullets & Numbering function, the document freezes and all of the options are grayed out. If I press Escape, the document is functional again but Format-Paragraph is not. I don't know what happened. Using Mavericks on a MacBook Pro
Help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Does the same thing happen in other Word documents or just that particular one? If it's only that document, it's likely corrupt. If it's occurring in all Word documents then Word has become corrupt. The only cure for that is its removal and reinstallation.
QUOTE Thanks
Lynne

Thank you for responding.

It does appear to happen in all Word documents. What would cause Word to become corrupted all of a sudden. And how do I reinstall it? Originally, I bought and downloaded MS Office for Mac. Now I have Office 11. Can I just download it again?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If the freezing is occurring in all your Word documents then you need to reinstall Word. If you purchased Mac Office 2011 as a download, you should still have the download image saved along with your product registration number. You will need both to reinstall Mac Office 2011.

You can not just reinstall Word, you have to entirely remove all of Office and reinstall. It's a real pain having to do it that way, but unfortunately the only way. Follow these Microsoft instructions to completely remove Office 2011.
QUOTE Thanks
Lynne

Thank you, chscag. I'll give it a try now. Shudder.
Lynne
QUOTE Thanks
Lynne

Thanks again, chscag. I followed the directions at the link you supplied, uninstalled MS Office and reinstalled it. It wasn't so bad - and it worked! Many thanks.

Lynne
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Classes on how to operate details | "New Folder" starts with other folders nested inside »