New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac High Fan Speeds And Very Bad Lag

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

someperson99

someperson99 is on a distinguished road

Ok so i have got a iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 and i have recently noticed that when I'm playing Video Games via steam my fan kicks on at the highest speed and the game becomes unplayable due to lag , i don't even have to be playing a game for this to happen so i decided to wipe my HardDrive and start clean the same problem kept on happening i don't know what to do and what is happening i have reset my PRAM and i think my SMC but i don't know ,should i contact my local apple store? Also i still have my 1-year warranty if it has to be replaced
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Video Games drive the CPU and GPU very hard, which generates heat. That's why the fan comes on and runs high...it's normal. Lag is probably due to the same demand. One confusing thing you said:
Quote:
i don't even have to be playing a game for this to happen
What does that mean? What are you doing when not playing a game? The one time I tried Steam, it drove my CPU pretty hard, so even when you aren't playing Steam may be pushing your CPU.

If you really want to play games, MBPs are NOT the best choice.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Actually he has an iMac. Someperson.... can you tell us which model iMac you have, as well as how much RAM you have, and how much used vs free space you have on the drive?
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

True, but an iMac is not a gaming machine, either.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
True, but an iMac is not a gaming machine, either.
I beg to differ. I've gamed on mine just fine. Prior to the 2009 model introduction, I would have agreed though.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I've got to agree with LAB on that... I've gamed on both of my iMacs with never a problem and I ran some fairly graphic intensive games. But let's face it, no Mac is up to par with an Alienware machine when it comes to gaming.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I think that there's at least a "semi-agreement" that Mac's aren't the best gaming computers. But they can certainly play most games very well...and only the most hardware intensive games (at max. resolutions and detail settings) is where Mac's start to have trouble.

Of course not all Mac's are "created equal" either. The higher end iMacs (with descrete graphics hardware) seem to be the best "gaming Mac's" to choose from (at least for us "mere mortals")!

The new Mac Pro I guess would be the best. But then again...I think that a SUPER Windows gaming computer could be built for at least 50% ($1500) of the price of an entry level new Mac Pro ($2999)...or less.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

2010 i3 iMacs fit the 3.2GHz bill. Any chance you have replaced the hard drive yourself or by a non-Apple technician? Apple introduced speical heat sensors in an attempt to prevent user upgrading. Doing the hard drive upgrade without the proprietary drive or sensors cause the fans to talke off like a Jumbo 747.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

For you guys REALLY into the technical/hardware side of gaming. Here's a review I found regarding the "new" Mac Pro:
AnandTech | The Mac Pro Review (Late 2013)

Here's a video of a guy running SIX (6) 27" displays at 4k resolution on a new Mac Pro playing Crysis 3 (zip to 1:18 of the video to see it):
Crysis 3 on Late 2013 Mac Pro with 6 27-inch screens in over 4K resolution | 9to5Mac

And here's an article on "Can a Mac be a gaming PC?":
Can a Mac be a gaming PC? How the world is changing for Mac gamers | News | TechRadar

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
2010 i3 iMacs fit the 3.2GHz bill. Any chance you have replaced the hard drive yourself or by a non-Apple technician? Apple introduced speical heat sensors in an attempt to prevent user upgrading. Doing the hard drive upgrade without the proprietary drive or sensors cause the fans to talke off like a Jumbo 747.
That was 2011. The 2010 models still take off-the-shelf drives, though you do have to stick to the same brand due to a thermal sensor cable having a different connector for each manufacturer. Or you can get a new cable if you want to switch to a different manufacturer's drive.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Applies for the late 2009 model if the identical drive is not used:-

How do you upgrade the hard drive in the "Late 2009," "Mid-2010," "Mid-2011" and "Late 2011" (21.5-Inch and 27-Inch) Aluminum iMac models? What type of storage do they support? Is it even possible to upgrade these models? @ EveryMac.com

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
someperson99

8 Gb of Ram and i just got this less then a year ago near december , and i don't know what model but it think its ether 2013 or 2014 , and when i boot it up in like a min. it starts going crazy and i did not tamper with it at all is this a defective or factory reject I'm confused right here , and when I'm not playing games I'm just booting it up or just in finder it starts with the fan and framerate drops , and i have 881.06 free out of 959.35 GB so i think I'm good on disk space and ram
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by someperson99 View Post
8 Gb of Ram and i just got this less then a year ago near december , and i don't know what model but it think its ether 2013 or 2014 , and when i boot it up in like a min. it starts going crazy and i did not tamper with it at all is this a defective or factory reject I'm confused right here , and when I'm not playing games I'm just booting it up or just in finder it starts with the fan and framerate drops , and i have 881.06 free out of 959.35 GB so i think I'm good on disk space and ram
The framerate drops when NOT playing a game? I would love to know how you came to that conclusion. You really should be more certain of what model iMac you have here if you want more specific help. Also take note of my signature. If you have properly reset your SMC and are still having fan issues, then it's likely something is running in the background to make that happen. Or maybe you are using some 3rd party software to control the fans?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
someperson99

i did have smc fan control but thats before i wiped my hard drive clean , and yes i get VERY bad framerate drops , ill post a youtube video of the framerate
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Take it back to the reseller or Genius Bar.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting Mail.app rule after formatting HD | Internet speeds not what I am paying for, need help? »