New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilf View Post
Thank you for your kind and frank reply.
Having installed the update, it has not fixed the issue I have, which is crashing whilst sleeping.
And no one is blaming anybody. Apple have great products and very good back up.
But they are not perfect.
Have you not considered the possibility that you have 3rd party software running that is the problem? Or perhaps something plugged into your Mac that is the problem? Have you done any basic troubleshooting or maintenance with Onyx?
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

+1 for the third party software suggestion. I'd start eliminating whatever was running before you put it to sleep.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Have you not considered the possibility that you have 3rd party software running that is the problem?
This is likely the cause or some hardware issue.

It might be worth looking to see what's running on your machine that isn't absolutely essential and stopping those processes.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

neilf is an unknown at this point

Thanks all for your interest.
This situation has been on-going for some time. Apple have been involved via their support people.
I have re-installed Mavericks on at least 3 different occasions. Deleted accounts and added new accounts. Putting my "3rd party software' back, item by item.
I am about to give up again with using the sleep function.
Who knows. Perhaps Yosemite will be the panacea.
I am pretty sure I haven't reached the point of going back to Windows - yet.
QUOTE Thanks
urbanman2004

urbanman2004 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Interestingly only a small update, 92MB, but takes four minutes to install, and on reboot another five minutes of reported sevebn to complete.

Dennis I saw the beta about early June.

OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 (Build 13E9) Seeded | Pike's Universum
Heres the 900MB Combo update I found on Google:
OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update (Combo)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Not Mavericks but as other suggest something not compatible. Have you tried operating in Safe Mode?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
JEBB

JEBB is on a distinguished road

I have a 2010 11" MBA with 2GB RAM. With 10.9.4 there is a definite increase in the speed.
QUOTE Thanks
rhawk

rhawk is on a distinguished road

Bought a new Nikon camera and had to upgrade my OS from 10.6.8 to 10.9.4. Took 7 hours to download and install. Whew! I'm not very "techy" and find some of the new email changes are more cluttered and complicated. For example the old system had an icon for a " quick look" at any attachment, a very easy access. The 9.4 version seems to have deleted it, or I'm not finding it. The autofill from the address book seems way more cumbersome than the 6.8 version. Thanks for other reflections on this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Thanks all for your interest.
This situation has been on-going for some time. Apple have been involved via their support people.
I have re-installed Mavericks on at least 3 different occasions. Deleted accounts and added new accounts. Putting my "3rd party software' back, item by item.
I am about to give up again with using the sleep function.
Who knows. Perhaps Yosemite will be the panacea.
I am pretty sure I haven't reached the point of going back to Windows - yet.
If you are having a problem with a clean install of Mavericks (or indeed any other OS version), then my strongest suspicion would be a hardware issue. I would recommend running the Apple Hardware Test, then stress testing your RAM with Rember. You also need to make sure you have no 3rd party devices attached to your Mac that may be the problem. I had one with a bluetooth headset plugged in that was preventing my Mac from booting. As it turned out, the headset was defective and the Mac was trying to boot off it. Dead serious on this. So yes... eliminate EVERYTHING that's connected as a possible culprit.
QUOTE Thanks
xairbusdriver

xairbusdriver is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4GHz, Core i7, 8GB SDRam, 1TB HD, 2TB External HD

Quote:
the old system had an icon for a " quick look" at any attachment, a very easy access. The 9.4 version seems to have deleted it
I never knew there was any menu item for it! I always just pressed the space bar when I wanted to take a Quick Look of anything. However I notice that both PathFinder and Finder (which I seldom use) use the same keyboard shortcut for it: command-Y.

You might want to check to see if "Simple Finder" is enabled. System Prefs->Users & Groups->Enable Parental Controls

My goal goal for the day is Progress, not Perfection.

Last edited by xairbusdriver; 07-05-2014 at 02:43 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
teedee208

teedee208 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry to be negative but does anyone know if this update fixes anything in particular?
I don't think I am alone with many others who have had a "not so good experience" with 10.9.3.
I have a 13' mbp retina, 8GB, 2.6GHZ bought abut 3 months ago. It has had a continual problem when waking from sleep or booting up of having disconnected from wifi. After several attempts to fix this by Apple support, it seemed that bluetooth was the culprit. This problem seems to have been pretty widespread. Apple support took an analysis of my system and after installing the latest update the wifi connection now works as it should, so it certainly fixed that. As you would expect, otherwise why would they go to the trouble of issuing an update?
QUOTE Thanks
Bill Gates Jr.

Bill Gates Jr. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac OSX Mavericks

What if you shut it down,instead of putting it in sleep mode, does the problem go away when you turn it on? Have you tried reinstalling the OS?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac randomly crashing | iCloud Storage »