New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Itunes or hardware problem Not sure which

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kcnemo

kcnemo is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue.
I turned my Spring 2011 Mac Mini into our home music system, using an external hard drive to hold the music.
For the living room, run speakers off the external headphone jack.
Both bedrooms each have an Airport Express to run speakers.
Also have an Airport Extreme to run WI-FI in the house. Which is off of a Time Warner modem.
Also have one cell phone running off of Sprint.
And 2 iPads, one runs off the TWC WI-FI,
The other cell phone runs off of Verizon and when needed Verizon Wi-FI for the other iPad. Usually the TWC to save costs.
I'm showing 2 strong WI-FIs nearby. One could be ATT U-Verse, the other is probably a Google Fiber. (I'm in one of the 1st neighborhoods).
Also a newer Mini that seems to hog resources. Too many open tabs on Safari, Firefox & Google. Maybe I just solved my own problem.

PROBLEM:
About once a day one or the other the sets of bedroom speakers goes into stuttering mode, while everything else is OK. I turn off iTunes, restart and everything works. Can the stuttering be fixed easy?

Last edited by kcnemo; 06-30-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: more info
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

That's likely either:
- the Mini isn't serving the data fast enough (ensure you plenty of RAM and disk space available and that you don't have other processes constantly accessing the disk or maxing out the CPU.
OR
- more likely you're getting interrupted wifi. Try using a tool like iStumbler to 'see' the other wifi networks in the area and the channels being used and switch your channel to be as far away from surrounding networks as possible.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

If you are using 10.8 or 10.9, a Wifi scanning tool like iStumbler is available on your Mac:
Wi-Fi Scanner Tool is Native in Mac OS X, Here’s How to Use it | OSXDaily
QUOTE Thanks
kcnemo

kcnemo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I haven't checked yet, but it's probably the wi-fi. I stripped the Mini of anything else so it could concentrate on just music.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« configuring HDD and SSD on mac mini | iCal and Attachments »