New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time Machine used as a selective store?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cowbrain

cowbrain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, , MB black 2.4GHz core two duo, 4GB RAM, 500gb hdd (7200 rpm) 10.6.8

Hello all.

Hopefully this is a simple question, with an obvious answer which I'm missing. I've looked around the forum, and on the Apple pages, but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

Just got a new MBP retina and I don't want to fill it up with a lot of 'junk' I had on my old Macbook - but I do want some stuff from it (some pictures, videos, scripts, other odd assortments etc) I had backed up the old Macbook using Time Machine on an external HDD.

My question: Can I go into this back up and select the few items I want (They aren't in a single location, they will be all over the place. I was sloppy!)
(As well as the TM back up, I currently still have the old Macbook, if there's an easier way, machine to machine etc?)

Thanks. CB

MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR(Crucial), 512GB SSD (Crucial M550) OSX 10.9.4
Macbook black, 2.4GHz core2duo, 4GB ram, 500GB HDD(7200rpm), OS X 10.6.8
iPhone 4S
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I would think it's better to use the Migration Assistant rather than try to restore selective items from Time Machine to your new MBP. It's possible to do it that way, however. Actually, as long as there is not a great amount of data to transfer, you may be better off doing it manually. That would give you greater control over the process.
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

cowbrain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, , MB black 2.4GHz core two duo, 4GB RAM, 500gb hdd (7200 rpm) 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I would think it's better to use the Migration Assistant rather than try to restore selective items from Time Machine to your new MBP. It's possible to do it that way, however. Actually, as long as there is not a great amount of data to transfer, you may be better off doing it manually. That would give you greater control over the process.
Thanks, chscag. Good advice.

If I'm strict with myself, there won't be a lot to transfer, so the manual route may prevail.

No hurry, as I still have both machines.

Thanks, CB

MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR(Crucial), 512GB SSD (Crucial M550) OSX 10.9.4
Macbook black, 2.4GHz core2duo, 4GB ram, 500GB HDD(7200rpm), OS X 10.6.8
iPhone 4S
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I agree with Charlie.

Going into Time Machine and selecting just what you want will be better off for you. Migration Assistant, isn't good at picking something here, something there, and so on. I only use MA to bring across my Mac System Profile so its set up like it was on my old MacBook, and I bring across what I want manually.

Just remember, when it comes to Applications, its best to download and re-install them, because dragging them over, doesn't Install them per se. Meaning, it only brings across the Application itself, but doesn't install the parts into the System Files that need to be there for it to work how is should.. ie: Plugin, Extension and so on . .

HTH

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recovering file written over | finder as image screener »