Why iMovie dosent talk with MXF
    I'm always frustrated that iMovie doesn't work with MXF. To me thats so silly. Nearly all the cameras I know of shoot in a MXF codec. Canon, Panasonic, Sony etc. Why should I need a third party make a conversion software download, that charges money. When iMovie should be able to recognise the most common recording formats from all manufacturers. I must add that I have paid and downloaded
    some of these and haven't been able to make it work.

Specs:
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.10.5. iPhone 3GS.
    Perhaps because MXF is more for the professional digital video and audio media market, and those who would normally use would not be iMovie users.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
    Perhaps because MXF is more for the professional digital video and audio media market, and those who would normally use would not be iMovie users.
    MXF isen't really that much a pro format. But you download a $40-$50 program and it plays and transfers fine. Why Apple cannot do the same I'll never know. I can understand maybe something top end like 4K red Epic footage on the highest bit rate. But we've had HD for 15 years now. Even kids phones shoot that now.

Specs:
    L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
    Quote Originally Posted by reticulan5 View Post
    I'm always frustrated that iMovie doesn't work with MXF. To me thats so silly. Nearly all the cameras I know of shoot in a MXF codec. Canon, Panasonic, Sony etc. Why should I need a third party make a conversion software download, that charges money. When iMovie should be able to recognise the most common recording formats from all manufacturers. I must add that I have paid and downloaded
    some of these and haven't been able to make it work.
    iMovie is setup for the average consumer in mind. Those who use a standard home digital video camera and digital cameras like DSLRs. Even the most high end DSLR uses the quicktime MOV format, none of which use MXF. And just FYI DSLR is the way of video these days.

To quote Wikipedia:
    "Sony's XDCAM MXF is supported by Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro via XDCAM Transfer, Autodesk Smoke, Avid, Dalet, Harris, Omneon, Quantel, Rhozet, Sony Vegas Pro, Sorenson Squeeze Telestream FlipFactory, GrassValley EDIUS, and Grass Valley K2.

Panasonic's P2 MXF is supported by Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro, Dalet, Autodesk Smoke and Avid, GrassValley EDIUS,[2] and Grass Valley K2."
    I guess the real question is, who would spend thousands on a professional camera and not a red penny on professional video editing software or a converter?

Joe's Photo & Video Channel on YouTube
    Lightroom, Photoshop, FCP, Gear Reviews and more...
    ***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

Thread Information