Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

finder as image screener
    Does anyone know how to restore the excellent Finder image screener function of Snow Leopard? A press of the spacebar previewed the image on a memory card, offering an import into iPhoto without having to go to full-screen as later OSX requires. Now I have two extra steps, select full-screen for access to the iPhoto import function, escape full-screen to go back to the Finder preview. It has really slowed my workflow.

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    Do you mean Quicklook? Press the spacebar while a pic is selected.
    Delusions are often functional. A motherís opinions about her childrenís beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.
    -Lazarus Long

quicklook
    Quicklook works just fine, but the ability to select import into iPhoto is not available in later OSX iterations without going to full screen which slows the editing process. In SL, it was available the instant quicklook previewed the image. I don't imagine there's any way to fix this, but it sure slows things down, just as other "improvements" have encumbered the professional user with too much glitz and eye candy. In SL it was faster and more efficient than a bulk import and then deletion of image files.

Specs:
    Ah, I see what you mean. Mine just has a 'Open in Preview' button (Mavericks).
    Let me look around. I may or may not find anything.

Edit: Ok, I found this on the Apple forums. May or may not work for you...
    Last edited by cradom; 06-06-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Delusions are often functional. A motherís opinions about her childrenís beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.
    -Lazarus Long

thanks
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Quicklook is good since it doesn't require actually opening the file with an app. It's just distressing that Apple removed its most useful function, allowing one to import to iPhoto without having to open the file. It made for one of the quickest methods of screening and importing photo files.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    As has just been explained to you, Apple did not remove this function. Please re-read cradom's post above.

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    As has just been explained to you, Apple did not remove this function. Please re-read cradom's post above.

Gheese, here we go again.

Why can't you Apple fanboys just admit that Apple F's up with some, and I dare a lot of their changes with their "new and improved" OS X versions???

Why remove such an efficient and simple procedure that worked so well with Snow Leopard?? And they seem to keep doing similar things or creating a multiple-click workaround method when a single click or two used to work.

And to solution above was not and is far from being a proper solution!!

If Apple "did not remove this function" as you state, why does the simple Snow Leopard method no longer work??? A lot of us don't want to have to use their "new and improved" Mavericks method of viewing an image in full window view just to get access to the old Add to iPhoto option.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Well I can let you know, if you want to upgrade to the Free Yosemite, then its back there, but you will have to wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TattooedMac; 06-08-2014 at 08:59 PM.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Why can't you Apple fanboys just admit that Apple F's up with some, and I dare a lot of their changes with their "new and improved" OS X versions???
    Let's keep this conversation on the polite side. OK? If you have any question about this please read our guidelines.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    It's a pity when someone who at first seems intelligent can't quite grasp the difference between "slightly changed" a function and "removed" it ...

Specs:
    iMac: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini2, iPhone5s
    Works perfectly here (Mavericks). In Quicklook, right click the [Open in Preview] for a host of options - the second of which is [Add to iPhoto]. Job done!
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Try re-reading the OP's original question and post and the simpler and quicker method that worked with Snow Leopard.

That changed quite drastically with Mavericks, and not for the better for many. :-(

Specs:
    iMac: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini2, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Try re-reading the OP's original question and post and the simpler and quicker method that worked with Snow Leopard.

That changed quite drastically with Mavericks, and not for the better for many. :-(
    Don't see what you're getting at. Whats this 'full screen' business? One of us is doing something wrong and it's not me.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
    Don't see what you're getting at. Whats this 'full screen' business? One of us is doing something wrong and it's not me.

If you are using Mavericks, are you actually able to just select the image and hit the spacebar and get the option to add to iPhoto as one could do in Snow Leopard.

Now, with Mavericks one has to either use the open the image in Preview or click the full screen arrow icon to access the add to iPhoto option.

If you get the first option method available to you, I and I'm sure the OP would sure like to know how you do so.

Specs:
    Re-read post #11. Press spacebar, right-click the "open with Preview" button, "Add to iPhoto"
    Cant get much simpler. Thanks for that one Sawday!
    -Lazarus Long

Thread Information