New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

finder as image screener

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wordzenpix

wordzenpix is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know how to restore the excellent Finder image screener function of Snow Leopard? A press of the spacebar previewed the image on a memory card, offering an import into iPhoto without having to go to full-screen as later OSX requires. Now I have two extra steps, select full-screen for access to the iPhoto import function, escape full-screen to go back to the Finder preview. It has really slowed my workflow.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Do you mean Quicklook? Press the spacebar while a pic is selected.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
wordzenpix

Quicklook works just fine, but the ability to select import into iPhoto is not available in later OSX iterations without going to full screen which slows the editing process. In SL, it was available the instant quicklook previewed the image. I don't imagine there's any way to fix this, but it sure slows things down, just as other "improvements" have encumbered the professional user with too much glitz and eye candy. In SL it was faster and more efficient than a bulk import and then deletion of image files.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

Ah, I see what you mean. Mine just has a 'Open in Preview' button (Mavericks).
Let me look around. I may or may not find anything.

Edit: Ok, I found this on the Apple forums. May or may not work for you...

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

Last edited by cradom; 06-06-2014 at 04:04 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
wordzenpix

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Quicklook is good since it doesn't require actually opening the file with an app. It's just distressing that Apple removed its most useful function, allowing one to import to iPhoto without having to open the file. It made for one of the quickest methods of screening and importing photo files.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
As has just been explained to you, Apple did not remove this function. Please re-read cradom's post above.

Gheese, here we go again.

Why can't you Apple fanboys just admit that Apple F's up with some, and I dare a lot of their changes with their "new and improved" OS X versions???

Why remove such an efficient and simple procedure that worked so well with Snow Leopard?? And they seem to keep doing similar things or creating a multiple-click workaround method when a single click or two used to work.

And to solution above was not and is far from being a proper solution!!

If Apple "did not remove this function" as you state, why does the simple Snow Leopard method no longer work??? A lot of us don't want to have to use their "new and improved" Mavericks method of viewing an image in full window view just to get access to the old Add to iPhoto option.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Well I can let you know, if you want to upgrade to the Free Yosemite, then its back there, but you will have to wait.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 08.57.44.png (70.5 KB, 24 views)

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!

Last edited by TattooedMac; 06-08-2014 at 08:59 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Why can't you Apple fanboys just admit that Apple F's up with some, and I dare a lot of their changes with their "new and improved" OS X versions???
Let's keep this conversation on the polite side. OK? If you have any question about this please read our guidelines.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Works perfectly here (Mavericks). In Quicklook, right click the [Open in Preview] for a host of options - the second of which is [Add to iPhoto]. Job done!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

Try re-reading the OP's original question and post and the simpler and quicker method that worked with Snow Leopard.

That changed quite drastically with Mavericks, and not for the better for many. :-(
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
Try re-reading the OP's original question and post and the simpler and quicker method that worked with Snow Leopard.

That changed quite drastically with Mavericks, and not for the better for many. :-(
Don't see what you're getting at. Whats this 'full screen' business? One of us is doing something wrong and it's not me.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
Don't see what you're getting at. Whats this 'full screen' business? One of us is doing something wrong and it's not me.

If you are using Mavericks, are you actually able to just select the image and hit the spacebar and get the option to add to iPhoto as one could do in Snow Leopard.

Now, with Mavericks one has to either use the open the image in Preview or click the full screen arrow icon to access the add to iPhoto option.

If you get the first option method available to you, I and I'm sure the OP would sure like to know how you do so.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Re-read post #11. Press spacebar, right-click the "open with Preview" button, "Add to iPhoto"
Cant get much simpler. Thanks for that one Sawday!

QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Re-read post #11. Press spacebar, right-click the "open with Preview" button, "Add to iPhoto"
Cant get much simpler. Thanks for that one Sawday!

Finally it's now working for me.

I got some notices that there were some application updates today which I did and then decided to do a shutdown while I headed off for a Drs appointment.

Booted up when I got back home and saw and read the emails and decided to try the suggestion again, and low and behold the 'Add to iPhoto was then showing with a right click which it sure as H was not doing previously.

So thanks and finally working for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine used as a selective store? | Thrustmaster wheel for racing »