New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

moving system files to a second HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iWheeler

iWheeler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" (2010) 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 10.9.3

I've looked around but can't really find a definitive/best answer.

i've recently replaced my optical drive in my macbook pro for an SSD, what i'd like to do is have only the system files/applications on my SSD and my Logic pro project folder.

my main drive currently has 700GB on it but i'm moving about 200GB onto an external drive (1TB) and my SSD is 250GB (nothing on it). What is the best way to get the system files onto the SSD but keep the documents, downloads, desktop, movies, pictures and music folders on the normal HDD?

i'd like to do a clean install but i don't think i have the original install files for a bunch of things i use, unless there's a way to copy them off the backup without having to re install?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

In order to place the system files on the SSD you will have to install Mavericks on it. Also keep in mind that you now have the SSD in the optical drive position which is IDE not SATA. For best results, the SSD should be installed to the SATA position. (main drive)
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

Actually, one of the advantages of mid-2010 MBPro is that both optical and main drives are on SATA - my MBP reports same Intel 5 series chipset and 3Gbps bus for both. Indeed, the BlackMagic performance levels are pretty much identical for both drives.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWheeler View Post
I've looked around but can't really find a definitive/best answer.

i'd like to do a clean install but i don't think i have the original install files for a bunch of things i use, unless there's a way to copy them off the backup without having to re install?
Here's what you want to do to get OS installed on your SSD:

- Boot your MBP normally from the 700gig drive.
- Redownload Mavericks (don't double click on the downloaded file)
- Create a Mavericks bootable installer (need an 8gig or more USB stick)
- Boot the computer from the freshly created Mavericks bootable installer.
- Install Mavericks on the SSD.

Having a OS installer like this can come in very handy…so making one can have more use than just installing the OS on your SSD.

Do an internet search for the procedure for making a bootable Mavericks installer (lots & lots of sites for this).

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
In order to place the system files on the SSD you will have to install Mavericks on it. Also keep in mind that you now have the SSD in the optical drive position which is IDE not SATA. For best results, the SSD should be installed to the SATA position. (main drive)
Ive done exactly this in my 2012 MBP and used a OWC Data Doubler in the Optical Bay to house my SDD. Works a treat, is simple to install and have not had a single hiccup yet.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
iWheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Here's what you want to do to get OS installed on your SSD:

- Boot your MBP normally from the 700gig drive.
- Redownload Mavericks (don't double click on the downloaded file)
- Create a Mavericks bootable installer (need an 8gig or more USB stick)
- Boot the computer from the freshly created Mavericks bootable installer.
- Install Mavericks on the SSD.

Having a OS installer like this can come in very handy…so making one can have more use than just installing the OS on your SSD.

Do an internet search for the procedure for making a bootable Mavericks installer (lots & lots of sites for this).

HTH,

- Nick
could i not boot from the original install disk and install that onto the SSD and the upgrade to mavericks? so i don't need to make the usb thing you mentioned?

also once ive done that can i use something like CCC to move the users folder to the regular HDD so the SSD only has the system files?
QUOTE Thanks
iWheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
Actually, one of the advantages of mid-2010 MBPro is that both optical and main drives are on SATA - my MBP reports same Intel 5 series chipset and 3Gbps bus for both. Indeed, the BlackMagic performance levels are pretty much identical for both drives.
thats a relief.. didn't want to have to open it up and switch them over!
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

Quote:
could i not boot from the original install disk and install that onto the SSD and the upgrade to mavericks? so i don't need to make the usb thing you mentioned?
Creating a Mavericks USB drive, as Nick suggested, is the best option, really.
And future-proof too - very handy, when/if you need access to install files.

I have been re-using the cute little MacBook Air USB drive for this purpose since Snow Leopard - no chance of forgetting which of those USB sticks got my current OS X on

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
iWheeler

i dont think i want to start fresh on my new drive as i have a lot of stuff installed on here i wouldn't remember half the things i've added.

I've moved all the data out of the folders (music, pictures etc) to an external drive so my hard drives used space is smaller than the SSD, i was going to then clone the drive to my SSD using CCC and then wipe the original drive. once cloned i was going to see if i can move the user folder to the original drive off the SSD so the SSD will only have the system files on it and then move all the data from the external drive back into the corresponding folders.

does that sound ok or will i run into problems?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you could do this all along…why did you start the thread (or at least part of the thread)?

If you remove the optical drive from your MBP…and install the SSD…you won't have an optical drive to boot from. Unless you already have an external optical drive…or install the MBP's removed optical drive into an external case.

But again…if you are able to boot the computer from an OS install DVD (then upgrade to Mavericks via download)…then I'm not really sure where the trouble is getting an OS installed on the SSD (which I thought was one of the original issues mentioned in the original post)??

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
iWheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If you could do this all along…why did you start the thread (or at least part of the thread)?

If you remove the optical drive from your MBP…and install the SSD…you won't have an optical drive to boot from. Unless you already have an external optical drive…or install the MBP's removed optical drive into an external case.

But again…if you are able to boot the computer from an OS install DVD (then upgrade to Mavericks via download)…then I'm not really sure where the trouble is getting an OS installed on the SSD (which I thought was one of the original issues mentioned in the original post)??

- Nick
No i know how i could get an OS on the SSD but that would require me re installing everything again which was my problem i mentioned in the original post, i was basically trying to find the best way to get the system files onto the SSD and everything else on the other HDD without re-installing anything.

I've researched how to do it but it came up with all sorts of methods and people commenting on "how to" articles saying it doesn't work, i just wanted clarification from you guys if the method i've chosen will work as you've really helped me out in the past.

Oh and the kit to change the optical drive for an SSD comes with a external USB case for the optical drive, booting from the install disk wasn't mentioned so thought i'd ask.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
No i know how i could get an OS on the SSD but that would require me re installing everything again which was my problem i mentioned in the original post, i was basically trying to find the best way to get the system files onto the SSD and everything else on the other HDD without re-installing anything.
Personally I feel that it's best to just do a fresh install OS on the SSD (or any new bootable drive. You could "clone" the drive (with something like Super Duper or CCC)…but I think that you only wanted the OS files and apps on the new SSD.

This thread is now almost 24 hours old. If you had started the OS installing via disk yesterday…it would have been done longgg ago!

Quote:
Oh and the kit to change the optical drive for an SSD comes with a external USB case for the optical drive, booting from the install disk wasn't mentioned so thought i'd ask.
I would have mentioned this (it's certainly an obvious & common method)…but:

- it sounded like (from the original post)…that you didn't have an optical drive to work with.
- you may not have had an OS install DVD to work with
- you may have had a newer MBP that couldn't run the last OS that came on disk (10.6)

Installing the OS from disk is such a common method (if someone has a disk & computer that can do it)…I would have thought you would have done it automatically.

Just "keep things simple". Install the OS on the SSD from the OS install disk you have…then upgrade to Mavericks via download.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

iWheeler, the reason fresh install is recommended by many people here, is that it is the best way to deal with the situation, particularly since, you're not just swapping drives, but adding one and moving the system over to it.

Yes, you can clone your main drive with CCC to your new SSD, but due to SSD's smaller size (and a couple of other factors), there might be complications...

Before you do anything, have your entire main drive cloned to a larger external drive, do a fresh TimeMachine backup, and please create a Mavericks USB stick, even if you're not inclined to do a fresh install.

I understand your reluctance to go through setting up everything on a new drive, but you can always use TM backup to move your user settings/apps over, providing the new drive is big enough to accommodate ...

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
ceerod23

ceerod23 is on a distinguished road

There is no need for new install, why not just clone the drive that's what i would do, in fact thats what i did when i upgraded my had drive!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceerod23 View Post
There is no need for new install, why not just clone the drive that's what i would do, in fact thats what i did when i upgraded my had drive!
That was already mentioned just two posts up.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Harddrive shows full with Other | Pop-Ups??? Why is happening?? »