Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Aug 20, 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    40
    Specs:
    MBP 15" (2010) 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 250GB SSD & 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 10.10
    moving system files to a second HDD
    I've looked around but can't really find a definitive/best answer.

    i've recently replaced my optical drive in my macbook pro for an SSD, what i'd like to do is have only the system files/applications on my SSD and my Logic pro project folder.

    my main drive currently has 700GB on it but i'm moving about 200GB onto an external drive (1TB) and my SSD is 250GB (nothing on it). What is the best way to get the system files onto the SSD but keep the documents, downloads, desktop, movies, pictures and music folders on the normal HDD?

    i'd like to do a clean install but i don't think i have the original install files for a bunch of things i use, unless there's a way to copy them off the backup without having to re install?

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,804
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    In order to place the system files on the SSD you will have to install Mavericks on it. Also keep in mind that you now have the SSD in the optical drive position which is IDE not SATA. For best results, the SSD should be installed to the SATA position. (main drive)

  3. #3

    MBP17•David's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 04, 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    517
    Specs:
    MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB
    Actually, one of the advantages of mid-2010 MBPro is that both optical and main drives are on SATA - my MBP reports same Intel 5 series chipset and 3Gbps bus for both. Indeed, the BlackMagic performance levels are pretty much identical for both drives.
    Dvid

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,096
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by iWheeler View Post
    I've looked around but can't really find a definitive/best answer.

    i'd like to do a clean install but i don't think i have the original install files for a bunch of things i use, unless there's a way to copy them off the backup without having to re install?
    Here's what you want to do to get OS installed on your SSD:

    - Boot your MBP normally from the 700gig drive.
    - Redownload Mavericks (don't double click on the downloaded file)
    - Create a Mavericks bootable installer (need an 8gig or more USB stick)
    - Boot the computer from the freshly created Mavericks bootable installer.
    - Install Mavericks on the SSD.

    Having a OS installer like this can come in very handy…so making one can have more use than just installing the OS on your SSD.

    Do an internet search for the procedure for making a bootable Mavericks installer (lots & lots of sites for this).

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    In order to place the system files on the SSD you will have to install Mavericks on it. Also keep in mind that you now have the SSD in the optical drive position which is IDE not SATA. For best results, the SSD should be installed to the SATA position. (main drive)
    Ive done exactly this in my 2012 MBP and used a OWC Data Doubler in the Optical Bay to house my SDD. Works a treat, is simple to install and have not had a single hiccup yet.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Aug 20, 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    40
    Specs:
    MBP 15" (2010) 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 250GB SSD & 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 10.10
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Here's what you want to do to get OS installed on your SSD:

    - Boot your MBP normally from the 700gig drive.
    - Redownload Mavericks (don't double click on the downloaded file)
    - Create a Mavericks bootable installer (need an 8gig or more USB stick)
    - Boot the computer from the freshly created Mavericks bootable installer.
    - Install Mavericks on the SSD.

    Having a OS installer like this can come in very handy…so making one can have more use than just installing the OS on your SSD.

    Do an internet search for the procedure for making a bootable Mavericks installer (lots & lots of sites for this).

    HTH,

    - Nick
    could i not boot from the original install disk and install that onto the SSD and the upgrade to mavericks? so i don't need to make the usb thing you mentioned?

    also once ive done that can i use something like CCC to move the users folder to the regular HDD so the SSD only has the system files?

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Aug 20, 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    40
    Specs:
    MBP 15" (2010) 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 250GB SSD & 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 10.10
    Quote Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
    Actually, one of the advantages of mid-2010 MBPro is that both optical and main drives are on SATA - my MBP reports same Intel 5 series chipset and 3Gbps bus for both. Indeed, the BlackMagic performance levels are pretty much identical for both drives.
    thats a relief.. didn't want to have to open it up and switch them over!

  8. #8

    MBP17•David's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 04, 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    517
    Specs:
    MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB
    Quote Originally Posted by iWheeler View Post
    could i not boot from the original install disk and install that onto the SSD and the upgrade to mavericks? so i don't need to make the usb thing you mentioned?
    Creating a Mavericks USB drive, as Nick suggested, is the best option, really.
    And future-proof too - very handy, when/if you need access to install files.

    I have been re-using the cute little MacBook Air USB drive for this purpose since Snow Leopard - no chance of forgetting which of those USB sticks got my current OS X on
    Dvid

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Aug 20, 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    40
    Specs:
    MBP 15" (2010) 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 250GB SSD & 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 10.10
    i dont think i want to start fresh on my new drive as i have a lot of stuff installed on here i wouldn't remember half the things i've added.

    I've moved all the data out of the folders (music, pictures etc) to an external drive so my hard drives used space is smaller than the SSD, i was going to then clone the drive to my SSD using CCC and then wipe the original drive. once cloned i was going to see if i can move the user folder to the original drive off the SSD so the SSD will only have the system files on it and then move all the data from the external drive back into the corresponding folders.

    does that sound ok or will i run into problems?

  10. #10

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,096
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by iWheeler View Post
    could i not boot from the original install disk and install that onto the SSD and the upgrade to mavericks? so i don't need to make the usb thing you mentioned?
    If you could do this all along…why did you start the thread (or at least part of the thread)?

    If you remove the optical drive from your MBP…and install the SSD…you won't have an optical drive to boot from. Unless you already have an external optical drive…or install the MBP's removed optical drive into an external case.

    But again…if you are able to boot the computer from an OS install DVD (then upgrade to Mavericks via download)…then I'm not really sure where the trouble is getting an OS installed on the SSD (which I thought was one of the original issues mentioned in the original post)??

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Aug 20, 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    40
    Specs:
    MBP 15" (2010) 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 250GB SSD & 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 10.10
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If you could do this all along…why did you start the thread (or at least part of the thread)?

    If you remove the optical drive from your MBP…and install the SSD…you won't have an optical drive to boot from. Unless you already have an external optical drive…or install the MBP's removed optical drive into an external case.

    But again…if you are able to boot the computer from an OS install DVD (then upgrade to Mavericks via download)…then I'm not really sure where the trouble is getting an OS installed on the SSD (which I thought was one of the original issues mentioned in the original post)??

    - Nick
    No i know how i could get an OS on the SSD but that would require me re installing everything again which was my problem i mentioned in the original post, i was basically trying to find the best way to get the system files onto the SSD and everything else on the other HDD without re-installing anything.

    I've researched how to do it but it came up with all sorts of methods and people commenting on "how to" articles saying it doesn't work, i just wanted clarification from you guys if the method i've chosen will work as you've really helped me out in the past.

    Oh and the kit to change the optical drive for an SSD comes with a external USB case for the optical drive, booting from the install disk wasn't mentioned so thought i'd ask.

  12. #12

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,096
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by iWheeler View Post
    No i know how i could get an OS on the SSD but that would require me re installing everything again which was my problem i mentioned in the original post, i was basically trying to find the best way to get the system files onto the SSD and everything else on the other HDD without re-installing anything.
    Personally I feel that it's best to just do a fresh install OS on the SSD (or any new bootable drive. You could "clone" the drive (with something like Super Duper or CCC)…but I think that you only wanted the OS files and apps on the new SSD.

    This thread is now almost 24 hours old. If you had started the OS installing via disk yesterday…it would have been done longgg ago!

    Quote Originally Posted by iWheeler View Post
    Oh and the kit to change the optical drive for an SSD comes with a external USB case for the optical drive, booting from the install disk wasn't mentioned so thought i'd ask.
    I would have mentioned this (it's certainly an obvious & common method)…but:

    - it sounded like (from the original post)…that you didn't have an optical drive to work with.
    - you may not have had an OS install DVD to work with
    - you may have had a newer MBP that couldn't run the last OS that came on disk (10.6)

    Installing the OS from disk is such a common method (if someone has a disk & computer that can do it)…I would have thought you would have done it automatically.

    Just "keep things simple". Install the OS on the SSD from the OS install disk you have…then upgrade to Mavericks via download.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  13. #13

    MBP17•David's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 04, 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    517
    Specs:
    MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB
    iWheeler, the reason fresh install is recommended by many people here, is that it is the best way to deal with the situation, particularly since, you're not just swapping drives, but adding one and moving the system over to it.

    Yes, you can clone your main drive with CCC to your new SSD, but due to SSD's smaller size (and a couple of other factors), there might be complications...

    Before you do anything, have your entire main drive cloned to a larger external drive, do a fresh TimeMachine backup, and please create a Mavericks USB stick, even if you're not inclined to do a fresh install.

    I understand your reluctance to go through setting up everything on a new drive, but you can always use TM backup to move your user settings/apps over, providing the new drive is big enough to accommodate ...
    Dvid

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2012
    Posts
    4
    There is no need for new install, why not just clone the drive that's what i would do, in fact thats what i did when i upgraded my had drive!

  15. #15

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,096
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ceerod23 View Post
    There is no need for new install, why not just clone the drive that's what i would do, in fact thats what i did when i upgraded my had drive!
    That was already mentioned just two posts up.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. moving from HDD to SSD and HDD
    By uhmorphous in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-25-2015, 09:42 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 01:07 PM
  3. moving os x to another hdd
    By virmantas in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 11:13 PM
  4. HDD/SSD system files problem
    By rez in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 02:56 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •