New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

First glance OS X Yosemite

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Quick glance at the new operating system OS X Yosemite reportedly another free update:-

OS X Yosemite revealed: Translucent windows, cross-platform Continuity, and HTML 5 DRM come to the Mac | ExtremeTech

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

The Keynote presentation for Yosemite was interesting. It will indeed be free. There was no description though of the minimum system requirements. I think my Mac Book Pro will be OK but this is probably the last one it will handle.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yea they kept the specs under wrap this year. On the whole Keynote, they didnt cover much apart from Yosemite, iOS 8 and Swift, the new programming language Apple invented.
On Yosemite, I have to say I really like it, and some of the feature are way over due.
Things like Airdrop FINALLY I can ket rid of DeskConnect the App I used to send files between MBP, iMac, iPad Mini and iPhone.
I also like the making and taking calls straight from the Mac machine. That is going to come in really handy, and I backed a Speaker on Kickstarter called HiddenRadio which is a Bluetooth 4 Speaker as well being able to use it as a iPhone speaker. When your phone rings, you touch it and start speaking, or touch answer on your phone and use it to talk at, so because this will be on my desk, it will incorporate well for me.

Love the "Dark" scheme and will be using that from day dot and as well as the opacity used in the App Headers and Sidebars.
It surely is being well integrated into iOS and I thought last year what else can they do, but I was pleasantly surprised.

What really turned my eyes was the new Programming Language Apple invented, and looking through the iBook now, its going to make the person who thought they couldn't program, into a Programmer. Going from having to Add Properties and Lets say a UIControllerView taking up 4 lines of code, to 1 line of code. AWESOEME !!!

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

iCloud Drive was actually the most significant part to me, along with the new prices on cloud storage.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
danipoak

danipoak is on a distinguished road

My biggest questions about Yosemite: Will I be able to install it on my MacBook Pro 5,1 (Late 2008). I was a bit surprised the let Mavericks install on it. Anybody get a developer preview and can see the requirements?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
iCloud Drive was actually the most significant part to me, along with the new prices on cloud storage.
Does this remind anyone of the disk features that were part of Mobile Me?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
danipoak

danipoak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
What really turned my eyes was the new Programming Language Apple invented, and looking through the iBook now, its going to make the person who thought they couldn't program, into a Programmer. Going from having to Add Properties and Lets say a UIControllerView taking up 4 lines of code, to 1 line of code. AWESOEME !!!
Agreed. I'm decent with Python and have a working knowledge of C++ but have been struggling to get a small program written in Objective-C. I've been going through the book as well tonight and there are a lot of things that remind me of the Python environment I am most familiar with. I'll be putting the program on hold until the fall when Swift is released and just working on the Windows version which I have better support for. I just wish I had the xcode update now so I could try it out.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I want it hope my MBP will take the update.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Here's an article that lists the system requirements for the developer preview of Yosemite:

iOS 8 And OS X 10.10 Yosemite System Requirements - Business Insider

- iMac (mid-2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (late 2008 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

According to Apple.com...you need to have Mavericks installed to "mess around" with the Yosemite Beta:

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

* Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
Ditto on iCloud Drive, though I'm weary about iCloud Photos and the 5GB storage ceiling cap. .99c/mo for 20 GB is nice but I think it's a cop out as far as cloud storage goes compared to others such as Google Drive or grandfathered OneDrive users.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Does this remind anyone of the disk features that were part of Mobile Me?
Spot on, I said exactly the same thing, as soon as I heard it ... had 20GB on MobileMe, wasn't much use, after they moved it to iCloud, even though it was free for a year

Dvid

Last edited by MBP17•David; 06-03-2014 at 06:39 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Nick beat me to it, but from all I have seen any Mac that will run Mavericks will work with Yosemite.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Just need to know if there is a requirement for Bluetooth 4 on Macs to support the continuity/handoff features.

I'm hoping not. But all the talk of 'proximity' features has me wondering

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I expect, and possibly deserve, a barrage of critical comments; but why did Apple choose the name "Yosemite" the pronunciation of which may not be immediately obvious even to native English speakers who don't know the US well (UK, Europe, Australasia etc) and doubly confusing for those for whom English is their second language?

I really like the features of the OS though.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
I expect, and possibly deserve, a barrage of critical comments; but why did Apple choose the name "Yosemite" the pronunciation of which may not be immediately obvious even to native English speakers who don't know the US well (UK, Europe, Australasia etc) and doubly confusing for those for whom English is their second language?

I really like the features of the OS though.

Ian
I suppose they could have chosen something like 'Worcestershire' which would have been less of a pronunciation problem . . .

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Duplicate files manager program for Mavericks – Araxis or alternatives | Newbie With a G5 »