New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mavericks - Finder windows not holding their boundary

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra is on a distinguished road

I've just clean installed Mavericks (from SL) and so far has been a pretty incident free experience. Now just 50GB of third-party software to install

One thing that is irking me with the new OSX is that finder windows seem to reset to a random size with each open. I like to have finder windows displaying each and every icon in a particular folder, but it's not holding the boundary I drag out when I next open the same folder.

I can't seem to find a setting to resolve this. Any tips/hints?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Cannot be fixed. In the old days, every folder opened in a new window. That lead to lots of clutter, but every window held its size and arrangement. Now, you can open a different folder in the active window, and the folder that was open goes away. This has reduced screen clutter, but at the price of keeping all your windows appearing the way you set them up. As a consequence, I've reduced the exercise of arranging things drastically. In OS 9, I had enclosed folders cascading down and across my screen. I spent hours setting up every folder that way. It's a waste of time now for sure; probably was back then also.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

I've used TotalFinder for quite a few years now, and find tabs to be an excellent feature.
I have entire desktop screen (one of seven) dedicated to Finder and usually have about a dozen tabs open - very easy to get where i want quickly.
I know Mavericks now got tabs option in Finder, so it might be a solution for you:

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I agree with my fellow Brit that Tabs in Mavericks offers a potential solution.

The following Link may also be of assistance in demonstrating how you can arrange for Finder to open in Tabs or Windows and how to manage same. Open Folders as New Windows Instead of Tabs in the Finder of OS X | OSXDaily

Ian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Searching for someone who can create a binary for the latest KTorrent [MAC OS-X Maver | 3rd party app updater? »