New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading '08 Pages 3.0.3 on a 20" 2007 iMac w/ OS X 10.9.3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

peter511m

peter511m is on a distinguished road

How can I upgrade '08 Pages 3.0.3 on my 2007 20" iMAC with 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

Your version is the latest '08 iWorks version 3.0.3 as of February 2, 2008.

iWork is no longer available from Apple so if you want a later version you'll have to search for it, otherwise just get the most recent Pages version from the App Store.

PS: A lot of older Pages users are NOT impressed with Apple's latest version, so you may want to keep your old version even if you do "upgrade", if that's the proper word to use.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter511m View Post
How can I upgrade '08 Pages 3.0.3 on my 2007 20" iMAC with 10.9.3
You can't. iWork 08 applications (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) require Rosetta to work properly. They will install to Mavericks but not open nor can they be upgraded. You will need to purchase the new versions. Pages is now at version 5.2 (1860).
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You can't. iWork 08 applications (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) require Rosetta to work properly. They will install to Mavericks but not open nor can they be upgraded. You will need to purchase the new versions. Pages is now at version 5.2 (1860).

Actually iWork '08 and '09 were Universal apps, at least when installed from the install disks, and should still work without any need for Rosetta, unless they were stripped at some point on a PPC Mac.

And as for the latest Pages 5.x versions, there are several sites like the 101 page discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5468056?tstart=0

'nuf said...???
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Well, give it a try for yourself. Install Pages 08 in Mavericks and see if it will open. I have a copy of iWork 08 right here and have tried several times. No go. As I said above, it will install but the applications will not open. Snow Leopard is the last version of OS X that iWork 08 will properly work with.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

No go here either.

For me Office is the go very disappointed in Pages.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

It seems from various Mac discussion groups that some are able to still run the updated 3.0.3 Pages '08 version in Mavericks, but how reliably they don't really say, so why bother I guess.

At least my Pages from iWork '09 still works, but it and the later Pages 5.x versions still seem to be a bit of a work-in-progress to me. May be because I don't have a complete understanding of them.

And no, I no longer have the iWork '08 apps in my SL partition to even bother trying - I'll take your word that it don't work properly. Likewise, the OP now has other options to upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
At least my Pages from iWork '09 still works, but it and the later Pages 5.x versions still seem to be a bit of a work-in-progress to me. May be because I don't have a complete understanding of them.
No problem with iWork 09, all apps work OK up thru Mavericks. The new Pages is somewhat dumbed down, several nice features were removed, however, Apple has promised to restore them. We shall see. I primarily use Office 2011 on the Mac and Office 2010 when on a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
HumptyDo

HumptyDo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What can I say?

Simply not true, and I don't know where you are getting all this from.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Simply not true, and I don't know where you are getting all this from.
Like I said above, they'll install but do not open. And again, an attempt was made several times, and it should be noted it's not just me that couldn't get them to work. But if you got them to work, great, we'll chalk one up for you.
QUOTE Thanks
HumptyDo

Quote:
… several nice features were removed…
Several? Try over 110:

iWorkTipsnTricks :: View topic - Pages 5 Removed Features

Quote:
… Apple has promised to restore them. We shall see.
Well it took them longer than they said to restore a tiny handful in the last 9 months, leaving a lot of bugs in place.

At my calculation this is going to take until 2023 just to get us back to where we were in 2009.
QUOTE Thanks
HumptyDo

Quote:
Like I said above, they'll install but do not open. And again, an attempt was made several times, and it should be noted it's not just me that couldn't get them to work. But if you got them to work, great, we'll chalk one up for you.
iWork '08 3.03 works fine, my guess is you did not update after installation.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I agree, it's been a great disappointment that Apple removed some of the best things that Pages had to offer. They at least restored scripting which allowed my scripts to once more work. However, for most of the work we do we use Mac Office 2011, specifically Word and Powerpoint. But we can't really complain too much about the new Pages, Numbers, and Keynote since Apple is giving them away for free with a new Mac or iOS device purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
HumptyDo

Well yes we can complain, because they are stuffing up file transfers over eMail, iCloud and between Macs.

Worse still they are auto-installing inferior versions onto unsuspecting users' desktops which then alternately resave/open files in the wrong versions to the eternal confusion of the, not too with it, new Mac users.

AppleScript support is still only a bit better than the miserable nothing of 9 months ago. Apple hasn't restored the full scriptability of Pages '09.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multiple external hard drives failures | Unable to back up »