New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Error code 50 whilst copying files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thebigshot

thebigshot is on a distinguished road

Using OS Mavericks 10.9.3 I wish to copy files from my hard drive to my NAS drive. If the file is large then the above code error code is raised. It's okay if I transfer small files at a a time. It works fine using my Windows 7 netbook so it is a MAC issue. Any ideas?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

How are you copying the files? Error 50 denotes that the file or data is corrupt. (CRC errors) This occurs more often with large files because when the data moves it may not be properly buffered. We have no idea how you're setup for file transfer?
QUOTE Thanks
thebigshot

Thanks for the reply,
The files are on a portable hard drive and I was using the the standard method of drag and drop into my NAS drive (hard wired) when I got the error code 50 up. I then copied the files to the MAC - no problems and then tried to drag and drop from the MAC into the NAS drive (again hard wired) - error code 50 again. I tried plugging the portable drive into my windows 7 machine and was then able to drag and drop into the NAS drive okay (hard wired). I'm not aware of any corruption issues and I only manage to transfer a couple of files before error code 50 comes up. I've tried various folders all with the same result. The files are standard WAV, JPEG etc so they should not be a problem. It is definitely a MAC issue.
Hope this is of use,
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Just a thought, may not be relevant; but how is your NAS formatted? I only ask because if it is formatted MS DOS (Fat), then there is, I believe, a size limit on files that can be transferred. Whereas a drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) has no such limits.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
thebigshot

Ian,
Thanks for the suggestion, I do not know the typo of formatting but the windows machine transferred them easily so I do not think that is the issue.

Jim
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Jim

That is sort of what I was getting at. Windows does not have a problem transferring files to a MS DOS (Fat) formatted disc, but I believe that Macs do with a size limit.

I don't want to mislead you and others with more experience can comment.

You can, however, determine the format of your NAS disk by mounting it to the Mac & using Disc Utility (DU). Open DU with the NAS attached. DU shows all discs. Click on your NAS & from the top menu bar, choose Erase. Don't worry, choosing Erase merely opens up another window and this will show you the format. Then close DU.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Fat 32 formatted disks have a size limit such that no single file can be larger than 4GB. If I remember correctly the same limit applies regardless of whether the machine in question is a Mac or PC.

There's been a lot written about that error on the web but I can't detect a specific pattern. I got the error recently because the drive I was copying to had some directory structure issues.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
thebigshot

Thanks for the replies guys, I will look into it.

Jim
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgraded to Maverick -can't send web page via safari anymore | Exporting movies from Canon HV20 to iMovie 10.0.3 on Mavericks »