New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Facebook notifications broken on latest OSX update?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 12GB| OS X.9.3 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.1

it seems to me that after updating to 10.9.3 i can't seem to click on the notifications from facebook to have the links open up in safari... this feature was working fine before and still works for the facebook app on iOS.

can others please check and verify if this behavior is occurring on their systems too?

i'd also be very grateful if someone has had this problem and figured out a fix/workaround

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 12GB| OS X.9.3 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.1

i noticed something else that i thought would be helpful to add... it seems to work ONLY for message notifications now... but anything else (links/comments) won't open up

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

How are you getting the Facebook notifications? If it's a third party app, perhaps something changed in 10.9.3 that broke this and you have to upgrade that app..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

hey...sorry i didn't specify...i was talking about the built in notification centre...nothing third party
plus this seems to be happening on my iMac as well as my MBP

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I understand that you are talking about the Notification center, but how are Facebook notifications ending up there? That isn't built into OS X. So you must have some program installed that's managing the FB notifications for you..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

umm....im a little confused now...it has been built into OSX for a while...just needs to be enabled.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7nsj5quvq...02.33%20AM.JPG

Last edited by rohan; 05-27-2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: image link wasn't working
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

No, it isn't..let me explain.

Before Notification Center was included in OS X, apps used facilities like GROWL to pop-up notifications from applications. With the inclusion of Notification Center, just like on iOS, apps that want to support notifications are included in that list..

For example, I don't have Daisy Disk installed and thus don't have it listed. I do, however, have VMWare Fusion, Adium, Evernote installed and visible on my list..

Check your Applications folder to see if you see anything called Facebook, also check your menu bar to see for anything called Facebook. You can also go to the Mac App Store, click Purchases on the top and search for anything Facebook related..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
rohan

i hope this clears things up...this is a feature built into OSX

Set Up Facebook Integration on your Mac with OS X | OSXDaily

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Ahh gotcha..sorry about that, hadn't gotten through all that on my work laptop..

But let me see if I can get notifications to do something..

Update I had a notification show up and when I clicked on it, it took me to the specific post/notification in Chrome (my default Browser). I'm running 10.9.3 as well, so it looks like it's working like it should?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Last edited by Raz0rEdge; 05-27-2014 at 06:07 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
jamesrosenrosen

jamesrosenrosen is on a distinguished road

Just recently got a mac, thought I'd set something up incorrectly, so it's quite comforting to know it's a bug, still annoying though
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrosenrosen View Post
Just recently got a mac, thought I'd set something up incorrectly, so it's quite comforting to know it's a bug, still annoying though
hi...this shouldn't be happening anymore... the problem fixed itself a couple of days later in my case...i figured it must have been something wrong on the facebook end of things.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Application Instantiation Error | MacBook Pro failure to read CD »