Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Facebook notifications broken on latest OSX update? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/311761-facebook-notifications-broken-latest-osx-update.html)

rohan 05-26-2014 02:58 AM

Facebook notifications broken on latest OSX update?

it seems to me that after updating to 10.9.3 i can't seem to click on the notifications from facebook to have the links open up in safari... this feature was working fine before and still works for the facebook app on iOS.

can others please check and verify if this behavior is occurring on their systems too?

i'd also be very grateful if someone has had this problem and figured out a fix/workaround :)

thanks

rohan 05-27-2014 05:17 PM

i noticed something else that i thought would be helpful to add... it seems to work ONLY for message notifications now... but anything else (links/comments) won't open up

Raz0rEdge 05-27-2014 05:22 PM

How are you getting the Facebook notifications? If it's a third party app, perhaps something changed in 10.9.3 that broke this and you have to upgrade that app..

rohan 05-27-2014 05:28 PM

hey...sorry i didn't specify...i was talking about the built in notification centre...nothing third party :)
plus this seems to be happening on my iMac as well as my MBP

Raz0rEdge 05-27-2014 05:30 PM

I understand that you are talking about the Notification center, but how are Facebook notifications ending up there? That isn't built into OS X. So you must have some program installed that's managing the FB notifications for you..

rohan 05-27-2014 05:37 PM

umm....im a little confused now...it has been built into OSX for a while...just needs to be enabled.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7nsj5quvq...02.33%20AM.JPG

Raz0rEdge 05-27-2014 05:42 PM

No, it isn't..let me explain.

Before Notification Center was included in OS X, apps used facilities like GROWL to pop-up notifications from applications. With the inclusion of Notification Center, just like on iOS, apps that want to support notifications are included in that list..

For example, I don't have Daisy Disk installed and thus don't have it listed. I do, however, have VMWare Fusion, Adium, Evernote installed and visible on my list..

Check your Applications folder to see if you see anything called Facebook, also check your menu bar to see for anything called Facebook. You can also go to the Mac App Store, click Purchases on the top and search for anything Facebook related..

rohan 05-27-2014 05:45 PM

i hope this clears things up...this is a feature built into OSX

Set Up Facebook Integration on your Mac with OS X | OSXDaily

Raz0rEdge 05-27-2014 05:50 PM

Ahh gotcha..sorry about that, hadn't gotten through all that on my work laptop..

But let me see if I can get notifications to do something..

Update I had a notification show up and when I clicked on it, it took me to the specific post/notification in Chrome (my default Browser). I'm running 10.9.3 as well, so it looks like it's working like it should?

jamesrosenrosen 08-19-2014 12:12 PM

I've got this!

Just recently got a mac, thought I'd set something up incorrectly, so it's quite comforting to know it's a bug, still annoying though :(

rohan 08-19-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesrosenrosen (Post 1599883)
Just recently got a mac, thought I'd set something up incorrectly, so it's quite comforting to know it's a bug, still annoying though :(

hi...this shouldn't be happening anymore... the problem fixed itself a couple of days later in my case...i figured it must have been something wrong on the facebook end of things.

chas_m 08-20-2014 11:24 PM

Was about to say -- I'm on 10.9.4 (which you should update too) and Yosemite for beta testing, and I get WAY too many notifications from Facebook that all work perfectly, dang it! It's very distracting!

rohan 08-21-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1600238)
Was about to say -- I'm on 10.9.4 (which you should update too) and Yosemite for beta testing, and I get WAY too many notifications from Facebook that all work perfectly, dang it! It's very distracting!

hi...i'm on 10.9.4 as well...i usually update within a week of the release...just haven't changed it in my info here yet :)