New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Macbook can't startup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Realest99

Realest99 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" 2.2ghz MacBook, 120GB HD, 4GB ram, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)

I just keep getting the spinning wheel.

My macbook has problems over heating and shut down twice today.

When I got it to startup again I tried to back up a file to an external hardrive
but the mac got over heated again and shut down in the middle of the file transfer.

Ever since then the mac hasn't been able to start up.

I tried to go into the different safe modes but the only one I can get into is
with the command + s

The fsck -fy command doesn't do anything or fix the damaged disk.
I get a message:
The volume could not be verified completely.

Any help?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Considering the overheating problems. Maybe the computers fan is not operating properly or is clogged with "funk"/fuzz.

Gotta open it up…and see what's up.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.1, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realest99 View Post
I just keep getting the spinning wheel.

My macbook has problems over heating and shut down twice today.

When I got it to startup again I tried to back up a file to an external hardrive
but the mac got over heated again and shut down in the middle of the file transfer.

Ever since then the mac hasn't been able to start up.

I tried to go into the different safe modes but the only one I can get into is
with the command + s

The fsck -fy command doesn't do anything or fix the damaged disk.
I get a message:
The volume could not be verified completely.

Any help?
Cool it right down, unplug the charger (it creates heat) if it has enough power and try your backup again if it will start up. You may not get long so only transfer really important files. You can place it below an air conditioner if you have one or aim a fan at the rear vents either way it sounds like your fan is either clogged or not working.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

Mac Specs: 13" 2.2ghz MacBook, 120GB HD, 4GB ram, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)

There's nothing wrong with the fan, its working. I've been working on adobe products multiple on at a time and I guess my cpu couldn't handle it.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.1, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the fan, its working. I've been working on adobe products multiple on at a time and I guess my cpu couldn't handle it.
So are you saying its working now? Why did you think it was overheating in the first instance? I'm running a MBP with 5 programs running (one doing a video conversion) it's 31 deg C on the balcony where I am (although I'm under a ceiling fan) and mine is not overheating. Could it be something else?

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
So are you saying its working now? Why did you think it was overheating in the first instance? I'm running a MBP with 5 programs running (one doing a video conversion) it's 31 deg C on the balcony where I am (although I'm under a ceiling fan) and mine is not overheating. Could it be something else?

No the mac is not working yet. When its turned on it stays on the spinning wheel and I can hear the fan.

Its warm right now this time of year so I guess my mac got over heated. I've never had this problem before.

Does anyone know if my external hard drive was effected when my mac turned off? Since the file transfer wasn't done uploading.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

There can sometimes be directory corruption when a task like that is interrupted. Usually the external drive is either OK right off the bat or with minor directory repair. If you get your Mac running, or can borrow one for a few minutes, have Disk Utility verify the disk.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Quote:
No the mac is not working yet. When its turned on it stays on the spinning wheel and I can hear the fan.

Its warm right now this time of year so I guess my mac got over heated. I've never had this problem before.

Does anyone know if my external hard drive was effected when my mac turned off? Since the file transfer wasn't done uploading.
Ok, as stated your external drive is probably alright so disconnect it and if your mac has cooled down try starting up with Command+R. This will access the restore partition and allow you to run Disk Utility. From here you can reinstall your OS while keeping all of your old files. If your operating system was corrupted for some reason this is the best way of reinstalling it HOWEVER if you have an overheating problem it may not be able to complete the reinstall and that will leave you in an unfortunate situation. If it can complete a restore you can then use Console to check if the shutdown was caused by overheating at the moment we are a bit in the dark as to the cause for the crash. Do you have a full backup? Either Time Machine or a bootable clone?

QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
There can sometimes be directory corruption when a task like that is interrupted. Usually the external drive is either OK right off the bat or with minor directory repair. If you get your Mac running, or can borrow one for a few minutes, have Disk Utility verify the disk.
It turns out my external hard drive was damaged because of the file transfer not being done when the mac turned off. I'll create another thread about this.

Do you have any suggestions on how to repair it?
QUOTE Thanks
Realest99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
Ok, as stated your external drive is probably alright so disconnect it and if your mac has cooled down try starting up with Command+R. This will access the restore partition and allow you to run Disk Utility. From here you can reinstall your OS while keeping all of your old files. If your operating system was corrupted for some reason this is the best way of reinstalling it HOWEVER if you have an overheating problem it may not be able to complete the reinstall and that will leave you in an unfortunate situation. If it can complete a restore you can then use Console to check if the shutdown was caused by overheating at the moment we are a bit in the dark as to the cause for the crash. Do you have a full backup? Either Time Machine or a bootable clone?
When I do command+r the mac automatically turns off. I see the scroll bar but it immediately disappears, and the spinner shows but then the mac turns off.

The only safe mode I can access is command+s

I do have a back up on time machine but the external hard drive is giving me problems.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Quote:
When I do command+r the mac automatically turns off. I see the scroll bar but it immediately disappears, and the spinner shows but then the mac turns off.

The only safe mode I can access is command+s

I do have a back up on time machine but the external hard drive is giving me problems.
Oh dear! If your external HD is also damaged you will need to repair it, I can see no alternative other than visiting a Mac repair site eg. Mac Help shop or Mac Knowledge site.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App Store Error | Background rendering not working with Mavericks »