New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Recovering Deleted Files?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Hey there

I had a folder on my Desktop called "Items" and for some reason it suddenly disappeared. I may have accidentally deleted it but I am not quite certain. It used to be there until a couple of days ago. It has all my university notes and such on it and it's crucial for me at this stage since I am hopefully graduating in a couple of days and I need it for some final examinations and essays.

I have no idea how it disappeared and I've been searching for ways on how to recover lost/deleted files to no avail - most, if not all, of the Data Recovery applications are paid-for and I cannot find anything that is free!

Can anyone please help me? Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

I used the free version of an application called Disk Drill and I found the files I was looking for, but of course I cannot actually 'recover' them except by paying. Does that mean the only option I have right now is to buy the app?
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Hi Tarek

As the Folder had all your University notes and so on—in other words, critical, you must have had a backup?? Time Machine for example? So easy to recover from there or similar.

If not, then I fear it's pay out time. Sorry.

And the message is: for a few dollars (much less than you're going to pay out for recovery software) you can get an External HD and backup. Time Machine is probably easiest in your situation.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
I used the free version of an application called Disk Drill and I found the files I was looking for, but of course I cannot actually 'recover' them except by paying. Does that mean the only option I have right now is to buy the app?
Unfortunately, Tarek, all the data recovery programs that are worthwhile have a demo that will show you what can be undeleted. However, you have to buy the app before it will do the recovery. There are several good free recovery programs for Windows, but none that are any good for the Mac - at least that I know of. Maybe someone else can help.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Very simple.....
If a file is deleted, recover it from the trash.
If it is no longer in the trash, restore it from a backup.
All the rest is .... well ..... guesswork and dreams.

It seems there is never time to do it right, but there is always time to do it over.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Trust you have been backing up regularly?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Looks like you will have to pay. If Disk Drill found it at least you can be reasonably confident it can be retrieved.
Have you checked that the files/folder is not in the Trash? Unless you regularly empty the Trash it should still be there. You can just drag it back onto the desktop.
I know we all go on and on about backups but a couple of points:
Dont keep important documents/folders on the Desktop. It may be convenient but it's very unsafe as you have discovered.
Even a $20 8Gb thumb drive will provide backup for really important files and a handy transfer device.

I know this is "closing the gate after the horse has bolted", good luck with your exams

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I totally agree Rod.

And for those who really can't afford a USB or an EHD, there's the free Dropbox. I know there is a limit (5GB I think), that's still a lot of text, files, charts and the like. And they're accessible from any computer.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Background rendering not working with Mavericks | Time Machine backup folder pops up every couple of minutes »