New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

can't save to my own desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gib65

gib65 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have a Mac OS X 10.5.8. It won't let me save files to my own desktop. It tells me I don't have sufficient access privileges. It also tells me I can go into desktop info to see or change my access privileges, but when I do so it looks like I have read & write access. So I'm not sure what else to do.

I'm a dummy when it comes to Macs so I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than I can guide me through troubleshooting this.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Howdy,

You could try repairing your disk permissions and seeing if that solves the problem, to do so go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Select your hard drive and click repair permissions. the screen should look like the one i've attatched below. any problems just reply back etc..

Hope this helps

- Simon
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-05-24 at 22.37.37.png (154.2 KB, 55 views)

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

If that doesn't help, you could go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.desktop.plist and then Restart. (~ is your Home folder)
QUOTE Thanks
gib65

Thanks both for the help, but repairing my disk permissions didn't help and I don't seem to have com.apple.desktop.plist in ~/Library/Preferences
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib65 View Post
Thanks both for the help, but repairing my disk permissions didn't help and I don't seem to have com.apple.desktop.plist in ~/Library/Preferences
Yes you do. If you don't see it, you're not in the correct Library folder.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.1, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

I assume it's not locked. When you get info on the desktop near the top of the info window there are two tick boxes "share" and "lock" make sure lock is not ticked.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.1, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
The Library you want is in Macintosh HD. In the sidebar of a finder window open the folder with your name and the little house icon, open Macintosh HD and you will see a library folder with an icon on it that looks like an ancient Roman building. The file you want is in there.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
gib65

The locked check box isn't checked. However, I did see a little lock icon in the bottom right corner that seemed to be closed. I clicked this and it changed to an open lock. The custom access table right above it suddenly seemed to be become enabled. I even clicked on the little gear button that brings up the drop-down menu with the menu item "Apply to enclosed items" and it seemed to be apply my access settings. I thought I'd solve it. But after closing the info dialog and trying to save a file to my desktop, it still told me I don't have sufficient privileges. I opened the info dialog once more and found the lock icon to be locked again. My changes didn't take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
The Library you want is in Macintosh HD. In the sidebar of a finder window open the folder with your name and the little house icon, open Macintosh HD and you will see a library folder with an icon on it that looks like an ancient Roman building. The file you want is in there.
I swear it's not there. Did I mentioned I'm on a Mac OS X 10.5.8? It's an older system that I don't think very many people use anymore. Are you guys sure this is where the file resides on this system?
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Quote:
The locked check box isn't checked. However, I did see a little lock icon in the bottom right corner that seemed to be closed. I clicked this and it changed to an open lock. The custom access table right above it suddenly seemed to be become enabled. I even clicked on the little gear button that brings up the drop-down menu with the menu item "Apply to enclosed items" and it seemed to be apply my access settings. I thought I'd solve it. But after closing the info dialog and trying to save a file to my desktop, it still told me I don't have sufficient privileges. I opened the info dialog once more and found the lock icon to be locked again. My changes didn't take.

I swear it's not there. Did I mentioned I'm on a Mac OS X 10.5.8? It's an older system that I don't think very many people use anymore. Are you guys sure this is where the file resides on this system?
I dont want to be guilty of plagiarizing someone else's work but in researching your problem I came across this forum thread which seems to fit your situation. Pay particular attention to the reply from jsd2. I cannot replicate your problem myself but this certainly seems to fit. https://discussions.apple.com/message/12248320#12248320

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
I'm absolutely, positively 1000% sure that the file is where I indicated, and that if you don't see it, you are not looking in the right Library folder. I was using 10.5.8 until about 6 months ago, and now use 10.6.8 and it's still in the same place.

You have several Library folders. You have to be in the one that is in your Home folder, as described by Rod Sprague, designated by the little House icon. That file is in there, inside the Preferences folder. I guarantee it. It has to be. Your Mac will not function without that file in that location.
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r will become famous soon enough

I'm coming in a bit late here, but to find such files such as 'com.apple.desktop.plist' etc. which personally I don't think will be the cause of the problem, download 'Find Any File' and use it to find what you're looking for.

There's a reason I call Spotlight Stoplight!!

I recently had some permissions problems with my user Desktop folder, and the only thing was was able to fix it and get rid of the multiple listings of "Fetching..." from the permissions list was Onyx and using its Maintenance option to fix permissions for my user folders.

Download Find Any File for Mac - Search your disks for files using various criteria. MacUpdate.com
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

Titanium's Software • Index page
Download OnyX for Mac - Maintenance and optimization tool (beta). MacUpdate.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does Outlook 2011 work now with Mavericks? | Downloading While Away »