New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Is Mavericks worthwhile?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old Mac Oz

Old Mac Oz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Which one? I have ten. Current one is MacBook Air (late 2013)

I have never gone for a new OS just after it has been released because, in my experience which goes back to OS 2, it always take a little while for an upgrade to settle down and run reliably. I was just looking at the forum and noting all the problems people seem to be having with Mavericks and was about to ask is it worth it?

Ever since just after I got my MB Air which came with Mountain Lion I have been being 'nagged' by apple to upgrade it to Mavericks.

Coincidentally my wife has unintentionally 'upgraded' her late 2012 MBPro, bought new earlier this year, to 10.9.3. while I was composing this post. I'm not sure what she was upgrading from but she has been complaining to me for several days of odd behaviours of the type described by people having trouble with Mavericks so I suspect she has had it for some time. The clue was the lack of information about what was being upgraded that DonaG was talking about.

So now I have TWO questions:

* Is Mavericks worth the upgrade? ie Are the benefits of Mavericks sufficient to put up with the hassles?

* Macs don't seem to ship with install discs these days. How do we get back to Mountain Lion? Or is that an even bigger hassle?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think a search of the forum will point to Mavericks being pretty stable for most users.

As har as your other questions are concerned it is possible to go back to Mountain Lion first if you do a little prep work first. Here's the approach I would take:
1. Make sure your current installation is stable. There's no point upgrading if there are problems.
2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a "bootable' copy of Mountain Lion on an external drive.
3. Download and install Mavericks. If you don't like it you can boot from the clone, erase the current drive, and reload clone from the external back to the internal drive.

Edit: When the installer for Mavericks downloads consider making a bootable Mavericks disk. You must do this before the installation finishes.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You can disable the notifications regarding updates if it bothers you that much.

I have had zero hassles since upgrading to Mavericks from ML. (zero hassles with every single OS upgrade beginning with Leopard in '08) Most of the posts of people complaining is because they didn't verify their software was compatible with Mavericks and now they're mad it won't work, or their system had a problem before the upgrade and instead of fixing that first they assumed upgrading would fix it for them. Stuff like that mostly. There are flukes where an update or upgrade just doesn't go right, but you restore with Time Machine and do it over (or use a combo update depending on the circumstance).

You can create a USB flash drive or DVD of ML in case you want to go back. This guide tells you how to make an install of ML and also how to go back from Mavericks LINK

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Fast and rock solid.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.10, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Fast and rock solid.
+1

no problems here

the only issue I have ever had with upgrading was from Leopard to Snow Leopard on my old 20" 2007 iMac. The initial uphgrade was fine but 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 resulted in freezing and graphics issues.

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RVZR Malware | Keyboard stops working with Photoshop »