New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unexpected Safari Quits

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nidmos

nidmos is on a distinguished road

I am trying to post up some pictures on facebook but each time I try to upload, Safari quits on me and I have to restart the the program. It restarts at the same window but why is it doing that?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Does it give you an error message?

We can't see your computer/. You need to provide some clues.
QUOTE Thanks
nidmos

I don't get any notifications. Nothing! The window just shuts off. When I reopen Safari, it takes me back to the webgage I was on. I wonder if this is a bit clearer. Sorry a newbie in these tech forums
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

A bit clearer. Now let's explore the versions of software that you are using.

Your OS X version is 10.?.? (or the name, if you're sure about that - Go to About this Mac)

The version of Safari is 5.?.?

Although it's unlikely that you have an outdated version of Safari for your OS, that possibility needs to be eliminated if it's not the culprit.

Next step: dump your Safari plist file. But, we'll get to that after you identify your OS version.
QUOTE Thanks
nidmos

Safari is 7.0.3 and I updated the system to OS X yesterday. Apparently that was the beginning of my problem. It seems like I have malware in my computer now. It started off by Safari unexpectedly quitting on me and now I have random tabs and windows opening on my computer. Sometimes, its up to 3 separate windows at a time. I have attached the picture of what the tab looks like.

I have downloaded Sophos anti virus but it hasn't detected anything. Please suggest some steps I can take to secure my computer.

Thanks a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-05-24 at 12.06.11 PM.png (42.6 KB, 12 views)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

1. Remove Sophos now.

2. As suggested get the .plist file out to the Trash, do not empty, and reboot.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

And... install AdBlock for Safari and Ghostery for Safari. Both are free and will install to Safari as extensions. What you're experiencing is not malware or a virus, it's adware advertisements popping up. You can leave Sophos if it makes you feel better but all it will do is slow things down.
QUOTE Thanks
nidmos

Thank you! I have removed the version.plist file from Safari and have also gotten rid of Sophos. I have downloaded adblock and ghostery as well. Let's see what happens next
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidmos View Post
Safari is 7.0.3 and I updated the system to OS X yesterday.
OSX what? (10.?.?)
As I said before, you can find that in About this Mac, from your Apple menu.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unwanted expansion | Waking up my Mac »