Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   SD Card not showing up on Mac (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/311472-sd-card-not-showing-up-mac.html)

kbell 05-16-2014 07:28 PM

SD Card not showing up on Mac

I am trying to view photos on an SD Card but when I insert it into my Mac it shows up as a blank item and that there are no folders or pictures on it. How can I get it to show up as a SD card and be able to view all that is on the card?

RadDave 05-16-2014 07:46 PM

Hi kbell - welcome to the forum! :) You'll need to provide much more information if you want some specific comments: 1) What Apple computer are you using (laptop vs. iMac) and what year; 2) What OS X is installed; 3) What SD card and is this from a specific digital camera (if so, brand & model); 4) How is the SD card formatted (e.g. by the camera); and 5) Has this card worked in the past and was the card properly removed (i.e. did you eject it or just remove the device when files may still have been writing)? Answers to these questions will help - Dave :)

TattooedMac 05-16-2014 09:36 PM

SD cards can be a little temperamental.

If you open Disk Utility, can you see it mounted in the left column ? If so, then you might have to open Finder>Preferences>General and make sure everything is Check Marked and then under SideBar and make sure you have everything under 'Devices' Check Marked. If then it still doesn't show come back to us.

chscag 05-16-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

SD cards can be a little temperamental.
LOL, that's an understatement! I bought two 16 GB SD cards (the cheap variety) which worked for about two weeks. Good thing I only paid $7 each. Absolute junk. I also bought a SanDisk 8 GB card (more expensive) but it's still going strong. The real cheap SD cards will even resist formatting by Disk Utility but can usually be formatted in your camera.

kbell 05-17-2014 10:43 AM

I have a SanDisk Ultra 32gb. It has been a solider going through everything that I put it through. It simply wasn't checked, but now it is working like a charm! Thank you all for your advice!

TattooedMac 05-18-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1583325)
LOL, that's an understatement! I bought two 16 GB SD cards (the cheap variety) which worked for about two weeks. Good thing I only paid $7 each. Absolute junk. I also bought a SanDisk 8 GB card (more expensive) but it's still going strong. The real cheap SD cards will even resist formatting by Disk Utility but can usually be formatted in your camera.

Yes I learnt the hard way when I first got my Nikon and used a cheap card. Now I only buy Class 10 cards, and 8-16GB because my reasoning is, if a 8GB goes and its full of images, I have only lost 260 odd, but if a 32-64GB goes, then I have lost a contract lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbell (Post 1583355)
I have a SanDisk Ultra 32gb. It has been a solider going through everything that I put it through. It simply wasn't checked, but now it is working like a charm! Thank you all for your advice!

Good to hear :)