New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Wifi-connection problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

electracat

electracat is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
So, I have a Macbook from 2011. About two months ago, my long-time router died. I bought a new one, and I had trouble loading certain web pages, plus it was very slow. My friend had no trouble with his PC, though Google was acting weird for both of us. I then got another router, and my Mac is still very slow on it, though all pages load. My speeds are: 1.5mbps download, 4.5 upload. Friends who come over get 25mbps download. Also, my Mac gets about 20mbps download with other networks.
So...what does this mean? I just installed Mavericks and increased RAM (and now the Mac is faster, but still has trouble with lots of downloads and Netflix), I had a Mac expert look at the thing, and we still can't figure out why 1) my Mac cannot do well with my network when others can, and 2) my Mac connects fine to other networks.
Any advice welcome! Thanks a lot. Oh, and I've tried Firefox, and it's a little faster (was also having trouble playing Netflix on Safari--suddenly won't play well or load well on that, but does pretty ok on Firefox). Still the slow download and upload speeds.
Thanks so much for any advice!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Reset the router and set up a new account, and in wireless opt for the 5GHz band if it is a dual band router.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
electracat

Thanks. Do you mean set up a new Mac account? I've already reset the router many times, but it's still slow.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you set it up for the 5GHz band and a new Account in System Preferences > Network?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
electracat

I don't have a dual-band router...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Sorry thought any new router would be dual band however proceed with a new account under Network and fingers crossed. Obviously from your description it is a computer network problem rather than your service.

QUOTE Thanks
electracat

Thanks for the help! But, sorry, I'm a bit illeterate in these matters: Do you mean, create a new network after reinstalling the router? Can I create a new network with present router? How do I do this? Thanks for your help!! Sorry if I sound rather dumb...
QUOTE Thanks
electracat

Help..!

I just tested the Mac with another network, and the speeds were much greater...So, it's definitely in how it connects to my home network. So strange!

Any other ideas? Very grateful...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What would keep re-enabling sleep mode? | Easiest way to install Windows »