New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X Version 10.9.2 Popups

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Blue Crew

Blue Crew is on a distinguished road

I'm going CRAZY!

After downloading the latest update, I am now receiving popups (mostly on the lower left of my computer screen). I'm also getting "redirects." Also, there are many "links" within a web page that when I hover over it, a small pop up occurs.

What happened and how can I correct this? Where can I make sure this is corrected.

I would REALLY appreciate any assistance.

Thank you,

BC
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Popups in the browser? That has nothing to do with the OS X update..

Please provide more information..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Blue Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Popups in the browser? That has nothing to do with the OS X update..

Please provide more information..

I didn't think it did, but it happened at about the same time, if not right after the update.

Do you know where I can block these or how I can fix the issue?

Thanks for the quick reply.

BC
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Again, not enough information. "Block these" or "fix the issue" doesn't give us anything to go on..

We really have no idea what's happening on your computer, only you do. With that knowledge, TELL us what's happening as descriptively as you can and we can try to help..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Blue Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Again, not enough information. "Block these" or "fix the issue" doesn't give us anything to go on..

We really have no idea what's happening on your computer, only you do. With that knowledge, TELL us what's happening as descriptively as you can and we can try to help..
I'll do what I can.

As an example, with this sentence you posted in a reply (below):

We really have no idea what's happening on your computer, only you do. With that knowledge, TELL us what's happening as descriptively as you can and we can try to help....

The words in bold, "your compute." If I hover my mouse over that, a popup appears.

When visiting various pages, such as my home page or various web pages, a pop up will periodically appear on the lower left corner of the page I'm visiting. There is a portion of that pop up that asks, "Hide Add." When I click on that, it partially hides that add, but a small portion is still visible. Then if I exit out of the page I'm visiting, there is a full page add that has appeared behind the page I just existed.

This started a few days ago and I have no clue what to do. I have been using this Mac for about two-three years and this just started happening.

I'm not sure that is clear enough, but hopefully that helps.

Thanks again for your help.

BC
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Those "pop-ups" are known as reference taggers and are used by advertisers in order to sell products or direct you somewhere. What have you downloaded and installed recently?
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

You need this:

As chscag said, it is something you've downloaded recently - a search "aid", an extra toolbar for the browser, etc, etc. It is certainly not part of OS X.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
Blue Crew

Thanks for the help. I still can't find what I downloaded that caused this. I went to my downloads folder, but none of which appears to be anything out of the ordinary.

Sorry to be a pain, but any direction would be appreciated as to where I can find all of my downloads.

Thanks again for all your help.

BC
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Have you downloaded anything from the CNET or Softonic websites recently? IIRC much of the software from these sites includes toolbars and other junk that is easy to install without realizing it. Have a look at this for example http://www.thesafemac.com/boycott-cnets-download-com/

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Last edited by Slydude; 05-18-2014 at 10:15 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
vttodd

vttodd is on a distinguished road

I am rather unskilled at using my Mac, unfortunately. At the risk of sounding stupid, where can I look in my Mac for a list of everything I have downloaded, and how do I click to navigate there?
QUOTE Thanks
vttodd

I am having an almost identical problem with my Mac as Blue Crew. I also have some web pages that show random words or phrases dispersed within the text that would normally be black font without any hyperlink, with green font color and "double-underlined" in green font color. These green, double-underlined words are even sprinkled throughout pages I view from this "MacForums" website. If I hover my mouse pointer on these green words, I get miniature ad pop-ups.
QUOTE Thanks
vttodd

I doubt it is an OS-X problem, but in case it matters, I am using version 10.7.5….

I'm sure I have downloaded and Installed something stupid, I just can't figure out what.

Can I just un-install all applications that did not come originally from apple when I when I bought the Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you are using Safari try using the Ghostery extension mentioned above. Similar extensions exist for most other browsers if I am not mistaken.

BTW Scroll over the icons in the right side of the Dock on your Mac. Click the one that says Downloads and hold it for a second or so. One of the options will be "Open in Finder". That will open your Downloads folder. Recent downloads are usually there unless something has been moved.

QUOTE Thanks
Blue Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttodd View Post
I am having an almost identical problem with my Mac as Blue Crew. I also have some web pages that show random words or phrases dispersed within the text that would normally be black font without any hyperlink, with green font color and "double-underlined" in green font color. These green, double-underlined words are even sprinkled throughout pages I view from this "MacForums" website. If I hover my mouse pointer on these green words, I get miniature ad pop-ups.
I have the same happen as well. Have you had any luck in correcting your problem. I have not.

In regard to the Ghostery, I have looked, but cannot seem to find where to locate it. Can anyone help with that? I am pretty new to Mac, so I apologize for continuing with these posts.

I looked at my downloads, but cannot find anything that could cause this. Is there a way to sort downloads by date? That may help if there is.

Thanks again.

BC
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

If you are using Safari choose Safari Extensions from the Safari menu. When the next page loads enter Ghostery into the search box.

If you are using other browsers check out this page

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading MAC OS X 10.4.11 | Help reading USB that is Windows-formatted on MAC »