New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

External Drives refuses to mount or show

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

r2sma

r2sma is on a distinguished road

Hi, after having to reinstall OSX, my external drives wont mount/show up on my Finder nor desktop screen.
When i go into Disc utility, all external drives are showing up and after running disc utility to Verify Disc, it says all is well.
Basically, the mac is recognising my discs within the disc repair, so why not on the mac itself?
I recently used OnyX which i remember 'Repaired the Disc Permissions'. Common sense says this may be the problem. Ive since ran the Mac's own Disc Utility' hoping that it could fault find and revert the permissions back to what they originally were. Unfortunately, even though the disc utility found errors and repaired them with the permissions, it still won't work/mount.
When using one of the drives on the disc utility, when i asked it to verify, it ran the program and at the bottom it says syncing device...
While this sounds promising, its been doing it for close to an hour. The drive is only 160Gb and formatted to NTFS.
To clarify also, ive checked the tick box within preferences of finder to show all external drives. Also without luck.
A strange one as well is the fact that i have an external drive running Time Machine, this for some reason is unaffected and is happily sitting on my desktop working away.

Any suggestions, however simple they may sound, would be appreciated.
Thx
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Have you tried mounting the drive from within Disc Utility? I believe permissions and Verify do not apply to NTFS formatted drives, so all of that may have been bogus. Also, OSX cannot natively write to NTFS so DU cannot actually do any repair to the drive unless you have a third-party NTFS driver, such as Paragon NTFS.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I second using Paragon NTFS, it's helped me alot in the past

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Disk Utility can not repair a drive formatted to NTFS even if Paragon is installed. You'll need to attach that disk to a Windows PC and run "chkdsk /f" from a command prompt.
QUOTE Thanks
r2sma

Hi, I downloaded Paragon NTFS earlier, and eventually the drive showed itself on the screen, however, if i remove the drive it takes forever for it to remount onto the screen. Sometimes I've got to mess about with disc utility to try and give it a helping hand.
Paragon doesn't automatically remount it on startup, which is a shame as it looked a good bit of kit. Ive asked their technical help for some advice as well on this subject.
Is there something i should be doing when i activate Paragon as it shows none of my NTFS partitioned drives in its available menu.
On the matter of running check disc on the pc, i have Parallels desktop on the mac. I assume i can check it via that?
Thx
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
On the matter of running check disc on the pc, i have Parallels desktop on the mac. I assume i can check it via that? Thx
Yes, all that's required is a recent copy of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) and know how to run chkdsk from a command prompt.
QUOTE Thanks
r2sma

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yes, all that's required is a recent copy of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) and know how to run chkdsk from a command prompt.
Hi,
Ref: running chkdsk /f
When i run command prompt & chkdsk /f, Cusers\r2sma, i get this reply...
Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

And when i run it from C/, i get this reply...
'CHKDSK' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Any suggestions to remedy?
Thx
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't install Mavericks | Digital Certificate - Safari »