New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

cloning my hardrive to SSD connected via Firewire

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

boston

boston is on a distinguished road

I apologies if this discussion has already been opened but i have searched with no answers - basically i want to clone my current 2tb platter drive to the ssd however as the ssd is only 250 gb this is not possible - The OS, spps and plugin installs certainly amount to less than 250gb so is there a way to pick and choose which items i clone to the ssd using CCC or superduper etc? i basically want to have the ssd as a bottable clone with all of my apps and plugins whilst keeping the sample libraries and large files on the internal platter drive.
any feedback as massively appreciated
cheers
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
is there a way to pick and choose which items i clone to the ssd using CCC or superduper etc?
Certainly in CCC(which I use) you can, and more than likely in Superduper, but as I've never used that, I can't say for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
boston

thanks for the reply - any suggestions on which folders i would have to clone/transfer? also would i install mac OSX onto the drive before cloning or would it be installed during the initial clone from the original drive?
My initial thought were to clone the 'application', 'library' and 'system' folders from the original drive as the 'users' folder seems to only contain downloads, documents music samples etc which would not be essential for a bootable drive.
thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
I apologies if this discussion has already been opened but i have searched with no answers - basically i want to clone my current 2tb platter drive to the ssd however as the ssd is only 250 gb this is not possible - ...........
Hi Boston - personally, I'm using CCC (I clone my MBPro & iMac to a 1 TB external HD w/ two partitions) - if you want a 'bootable' clone using one of the two programs mentioned, I would strongly suggest doing a complete clone, then if you have an internal drive failure you can boot into your exact configuration and/or use the cloned drive to load & duplicated a replacement one.

In general multiple levels of backups are desirable; for starters, do you use TM (Time Machine) backing to an external drive (however, TM will not boot)? If not, this would be the first suggestion. Then a 'cloned' bootable drive a next recommendation. Finally, for myself, I keep my 'personal files' (docs/music/pics) on an external SSD for my laptop & on Carbonite for my wife's iMac.

Hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ thoughts for what you might want to do w/ the SSD - good luck. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
boston

Hi Dave, I keep full clones on other external sources so no worries there - im using CCC now and have everything checked to clone aside from the 'Users' folder which contains my 'personal files'. do you beleive that i will be able to boot from this source then access my personal files from the internal drive?
cheers
Jack
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
Hi Dave, I keep full clones on other external sources so no worries there - im using CCC now and have everything checked to clone aside from the 'Users' folder which contains my 'personal files'. do you beleive that i will be able to boot from this source then access my personal files from the internal drive?
Hi Jack - OK, so you have the 'complete' bootable clone covered - great! Unfortunately, I've not given your request a try w/ CCC, so have no experience to help answer that question.

Hopefully, some of the other members w/ more knowledge of this app can help. And if not already done, visit the CCC Support Page - I've been there several times, myself - some good information, plus their contact response has helped me. Good luck & sorry that I cannot add much to your query. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
boston

Thanks for all your insight Dave! i'm currently cloning the drive and will report back upon trying to boot it.
thanks
Jack
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

What you are proposing should work though I have never tried it exactly that way. Remember though if you are on 10.7 and higher your user folder contains a normally hidden Library folder. It contains preferences and application support files. I just checked and Carbon Copy Cloner "sees" that Library folder. If you exclude the remainder of your user folder try including the Library folder in your backup. That should make restoring some apps easier.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Some SSD manufacturers recommend using their own cloning software and OWC technicians did once advise against cloning platter drives to OWC SSDs.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail mailboxes | Need help on some audio problems »