New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Macintosh HD Sharing & Permissions Change

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

UCRed

UCRed is on a distinguished road

Sharing & Permissions change has crashed my system (MacBook Pro - 10.9.2). I have been to Apple (not much help) to try and correct the permissions error, with no luck. I have also reloaded the OSX 10.9.2, but no luck. I have run Disk Utility numerous times to correct the permissions errors, with no luck. My next step is to wipe the system and start fresh again. Certain programs work while others won't even start, while others will give a permissions error pertaining to the applications folder. I went into the CLI and did a chown/chmod with 777 and this did nothing to correct the problems.

Can anyone tell me what the Sharing & Permissions settings are suppose to be on the MacBook Pro (2014) Version: 10.9.2 for the volume Macintosh HD? I have the current settings:
- system -- Read & Write
- wheel -- Read Only
- everyone -- Read Only

The strange thing is when I created a new user account, everything works correctly, but I have new names and sharing & permissions settings; they are as follows:
- test (me) -- Read & Write
- staff -- Read Only
- everyone -- Read Only

Thank you for any support and/or information anyone can provide me.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Let's back track for a moment. What did you change the permissions on initially?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

It will also help us to "help you" if you tell us the reason you made the change? ie, to accomplish what?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bookmark editing | Ripping CDs in iTines vs Windows Media Player »