New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

UK Grid reference needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

"Phil"

"Phil" is on a distinguished road

Hi All,
Can someone please suggest a good UK grid reference download for my iMac mountain Lion.

Phil
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

Is this one any good: Grid Reference Finder?

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
"Phil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
Is this one any good: Grid Reference Finder?
Hello David,

Thank you for that,but this is the one that I already had and decided to remove, as it just doesn't seem to respond properly on my mac. I previously had it on my old windows xp p.c. before moving to mac and it worked just fine on there,but I don't believe there is a version that is compatible with mountain Lion OSX

Regards,

Phil.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

But it's just a website, there's no app to download?

If you find that a site doesn't respond correctly to your input, have a look at software components on your system, such as JavaScript, Flash, Java, etc, etc - making sure everything is up-to-date and secure.

Also, some sites are just badly coded and only tested on IE and, perhaps Firefox. I've experienced a few, that will not work correctly, when viewed in Safari, but were fine in Opera or Firefox. I keep Opera browser for that very reason on my MBPro, and Firefox within my Linux virtual machine on the same system.

As far as the grid ref site above, it looks okay on my Safari 7.0.3 on OS X 10.9.2, although I have no comparison base, as I've never used it before:

Is that how it supposed to look/work?

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Must not work in the US?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 11.47.04 AM.png (268.6 KB, 32 views)

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
"Phil"

Hi David,

Just a website,not an app...yes of course. I had it as a saved bookmark and removed it as I said,due to it being unresponsive in parts. The screenshot you show is how it should look,but is not quite how mine looks...there are always one or two ordinance survey points missing and I am unable to select further pin points within the area showing,something that I had always been able to do on my old p.c.

This could be due to Java etc needing an update...as you say...I will look into that.

Many thanks for your help.

Phil.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

Hi Phil,

Not at all There are a couple of ways you can approach this problem, as far as I can see:

Depending on the level of interaction between this site and others, that you might require, you could try setting up say, Opera or Firefox with the home page set to the grid finder site, and use it as a single purpose browser, almost like an app. This is, of course, after upgrading your Safari plugins and extensions*, and providing it still doesn't work correctly for you. You'll find both Opera and Firefox in your AppStore and they are free.

You might want to consider upgrading your system to OS X Mavericks (10.9), which will bring an updated version of Safari, that appears to be working fine with the site, as shown in my screenshot. Again, the upgrade is free and I cannot recommend it highly enough: Mavericks is just great (my MBP is nearly four years old, and I have a number of Linux apps running, so it wasn't an easy decision, but really glad I did go for it).

* I'd start with the Flash player plugin - make sure you have an up-to-date version - at least 13.0.0.206, the latest is ...214, otherwise Safari might be blocking some code, for your own protection.

Dvid

Last edited by MBP17•David; 05-14-2014 at 04:44 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
"Phil"

Quote:
Hi Phil,

Not at all There are a couple of ways you can approach this problem, as far as I can see:

Depending on the level of interaction between this site and others, that you might require, you could try setting up say, Opera or Firefox with the home page set to the grid finder site, and use it as a single purpose browser, almost like an app. This is, of course, after upgrading your Safari plugins and extensions*, and providing it still doesn't work correctly for you. You'll find both Opera and Firefox in your AppStore and they are free.

You might want to consider upgrading your system to OS X Mavericks (10.9), which will bring an updated version of Safari, that appears to be working fine with the site, as shown in my screenshot. Again, the upgrade is free and I cannot recommend it highly enough: Mavericks is just great (my MBP is nearly four years old, and I have a number of Linux apps running, so it wasn't an easy decision, but really glad I did go for it).

* I'd start with the Flash player plugin - make sure you have an up-to-date version - at least 13.0.0.206, the latest is ...214, otherwise Safari might be blocking some code, for your own protection.
Hi again David,

Thanks again for these suggestions and Flash player Link,I will check which one I have and update if not the latest. Did look into installing Mavericks a while ago,but then read that some people were having some problems with it so didn't bother...but might give it a try after your recommendation though. I have the late 2012 iMac(bought May 2013)

Regards,

Phil.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Must not work in the US?
Probably to do with region-specific licensing of data displayed.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

[QUOTE="Phil";1582954]Did look into installing Mavericks a while ago,but then read that some people were having some problems with it so didn't bother...but might give it a try after your recommendation though. I have the late 2012 iMac(bought May 2013)[/QUOTE]

Your hardware can certainly handle the upgrade, just make sure you backup your data and apps, etc. There are some excellent guides on this forum as to how to upgrade to 10.9.2 trouble-free. Basically, backup with TimeMachine, do a fresh install, and restore your user settings from TM. I'd also do a [URL="http://www.bombich.com/index.html"]CCC[/URL] clone of the entire main drive, just to be on a safe side.

As far as reported problems - as with anything new, we mostly hear from people having problems (often due to not following instructions), even though it's a very small percentage of the overall number of users.

PS I have no idea why, the HTML is not working in this message

Dvid

Last edited by MBP17•David; 05-14-2014 at 06:56 AM. Reason: HTML is off for some reason
QUOTE Thanks
"Phil"

Quote:
Your hardware can certainly handle the upgrade, just make sure you backup your data and apps, etc. There are some excellent guides on this forum as to how to upgrade to 10.9.2 trouble-free. Basically, backup with TimeMachine, do a fresh install, and restore your user settings from TM. I'd also do a CCC clone of the entire main drive, just to be on a safe side.

As far as reported problems - as with anything new, we mostly hear from people having problems (often due to not following instructions), even though it's a very small percentage of the overall number of users.

PS I have no idea why, the HTML is not working in this message
Thanks for all of your helpful advice David.

Best Regards,

Phil.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reinstall iCalendar | Icon preview not working properly in Mavericks »