New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Updating MS Office for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Roger442

Roger442 is on a distinguished road

I bought a copy of MS Office for Mac 2008 a while back and have downloaded three MS updates for the program but cannot get them to install.

At first the update would not find the volume that Office was installed on, it could find other discs but not Mac HD.

Then it would find the HD but when I dbl click to install the update I get this msg; " Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) can’t be installed on this disk.
A version of the software required to install this update was not found in this volume." So as long as I've had Office 2008 I have not been able to add these updates.

I have a late 2009 OS X 10.6.8 Mtn Lion
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Try downloading 12.3.6 from this link and see if it works. The .3 shows there has been three major updates since Office 2008 was released and the .6 minor updates after 12.3.0 If no joy use the Uninstaller in Office 2008, and install a nice clean version, use the activation key code, and then update.

Description of the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.3.6 Update

You may need to go via the 12.1 update first. It was released way back in 2008 not long after Office 2008 was released. Where did you purchase Office 2008 from may I ask?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/downl...s.aspx?id=7799

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
A version of the software required to install this update was not found in this volume." So as long as I've had Office 2008 I have not been able to add these updates.
You're either missing the update installer or you've got a corrupted install of MS Office 2008. If you installed MS Office 2008 from Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks, it may be corrupt. MS Office 2008 was designed to be installed on both PPC and Intel machines, therefore it needed Rosetta to install. There was a work around and update that allowed it to install OK after Snow Leopard (last version of OS X to include Rosetta).

I usually recommend not purchasing Office 2008 and purchase Office 2011 instead for the above reason.
QUOTE Thanks
Roger442

Roger442 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to Harry B an Chscag for the words of advice. I bought the Office program at Frys and asked specifically if it was compatible with my Snow Leopard as I now remember. I will look for Rosetta and the update installer in my Office program.

Don't want to get a newer version of Office, always felt that newer versions of anything MS will be worse than the last one. That's why I now have a MAC. My wife has Windows 8 UGH!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Don't want to get a newer version of Office, always felt that newer versions of anything MS will be worse than the last one. That's why I now have a MAC. My wife has Windows 8 UGH!!
I would normally agree with you if this was Windows, but it's not. Office 2011 is many times more refined than Office 2008 and is designed to be run on Intel machines only. It also brings back macros and scripting which Office 2008 does not have. I couldn't do without the scripting in my work.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Agree with chscag and when the times comes to update your machine Office 2011 will be compatible

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Learned something today... | update mac os 10.6.8 to mac os 10.7.0 »