New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Display dock on right side 2 monitors when screens are arranged above each other?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hswisher

hswisher is on a distinguished road

UPDATE: Looking back on my original post that would solve the problem but what I'm actually shooting for is to be able to have access to the dock on both displays depending on whichever screen I just happen to be on since I use the TV as a dual monitor.

I have my TV above my desk at school and I connect my macbook to it and arrange the screens so that the big TV screen is above my laptop screen and I have my dock positioned on the right side and I want to be able to make it appear on my TV screen when it's being used as the "primary" monitor.

Any ideas?

Last edited by hswisher; 05-09-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Misinformation
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hswisher View Post
I have my TV above my desk at school and I connect my macbook to it and arrange the screens so that the big TV screen is above my laptop screen and I have my dock positioned on the right side and I want to be able to make it appear on my TV screen when it's being used as the "primary" monitor.

Any ideas?
If you have an external monitor (TV) attached to your MacBook in extended desktop mode (not mirrored mode)...and you want to have the dock appear on your TV...then you need to make the TV the "primary" monitor. To do this:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Displays
- Arrangement tab

In the graphic that represents the physical arrangement of the two displays...drag the white bar above the one display (MacBook) to the other display (TV). Now the TV is the primary monitor...and the dock should appear on the TV.

This assumes you are running OS 10.8 or earlier on your MacBook.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
hswisher

hswisher is on a distinguished road

Looking back on my original post that would solve the problem but what I'm actually shooting for is to be able to have access to the dock on both displays depending on whichever screen I just happen to be on since I use the TV as a dual monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hswisher View Post
Looking back on my original post that would solve the problem but what I'm actually shooting for is to be able to have access to the dock on both displays depending on whichever screen I just happen to be on since I use the TV as a dual monitor.
This is possible if you have the displays setup in "Mirroring" mode (both displays showing exactly the same thing).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

While it is possible to have the Dock on both monitors in Mavericks, it only works if the Dock is on the bottom of the screen.
Having it on the right or left wont work, it'll be on only one screen, the primary.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to download a purchased DVD movie onto my MacBook | HELP! OSX Mavericks problems »