New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

RAID JBOD Boot Disk Okay?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aniki

aniki is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2012 i7 2.9GHz 16GB 2x1TB SSD, 10.9.3

Hi All,
Long time lurker but registered today as I haven't found an answer to this by searching.
Most discussions seem to be regarding RAID0 arrays.
-
So I'm running Mountain Lion on a MacBook Pro. I currently have a single 500GB SSD. I also have a data doubler and a second 500GB SSD waiting to be fitted.
My plan was to:-
1. SuperDuper my current drive to an external drive.
2. Fit second internal.
3. Boot from external and use disc utility to configure the two internal disks as one single drive (concatenated).
4. SuperDuper my external back onto the new 'single' drive.
-
My concern is that it generally seems frowned upon to have the system boot from a RAID array. Is the same true of a JBOD setup or should it be OK?

Many Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I quit trusting software RAID years ago and have not seen anything that would cause me to change that opinion - especially for your primary boot system.

Doesn't matter what type of software RAID you're talking about, they're all susceptible to the same issues.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
aniki

Hey, thanks for the reply.
OK, just throwing ideas around, how about using a nifty drive with 64GB Micro SD as boot?
I can then set up the two 500GB SSD drives as JBOD and sym-link everything to them from the boot drive.
My concern then is 'how reliable / fast would the SD slot be using such a device'?
-
Only other option is dump the 500GBs and go for a 1TB.
-
Any comments experience welcome….
QUOTE Thanks
aniki

OK, looks like the SD card solution would totally work but would be too limited on speed compared to the SSD drives.
I think the best solution for now would be to go for the 1TB SSD.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Combining multiple partitions ( from separate physical drives ) into one logical volume is not a good idea.
If one part of the volume fails for any reason ( mainly technical ), the complete volume is gone ( RAID0 )
Combining physical disks as one gives you extra capacity, but most of all extra risk.
Make sure you have reliable backups :-)

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
aniki

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Make sure you have reliable backups :-)
So assuming my backups are reliable, disk failure risk aside, is the fundamental problem here a higher risk of software failure when it comes to booting from RAID?
QUOTE Thanks
aniki

So just to put a steak in the ground; thought I'd update this.
I've just ditched the 500 and gone for a pair of 1TB SSDs in RAID.
-
I'll try and remember to post back now and then as a measure of their longevity. Or sooner if they fail of course
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to re-install OS Snow Leopard on my Late 2009 Mac Book Air | MacBook Pro with Disk Utility code "Invalid Node Structure" »