New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Deleting files and HD space goes down

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeg679

joeg679 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 6-2011, iPad 1, 2&3, iPhone 4s, ATV2

I've been having a problem with my time capsule and backing up recently. I think the problem started when I restored the whole computer a few weeks ago. Now, I get an error that says that the backup failed when I try to initiate it and I got a message stating that it hadn't been backed up in 13 days. But, it says that it was last backed up, in the time machine menu, a few days ago and it has backups from a few hours ago.

I'm not sure how to fix this, but now I'm having a problem with the available space on my HDD. Before the problems, I had about 42gb free - I have a program called Free Space that tells me this. Now I'm down to about 20-30 and I didn't install anything. I just had some items in my trash, including a few movies and I had 27gb free. I emptied the trash and now I have 24.54. How is that possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Look at Activity Monitor on the memory tab and see if Swap is anything above zero. Swap is HDD space used to temporarily hold memory items when memory gets tight. How much memory do you have installed? Oh, and what version of OSX?

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
Look at Activity Monitor on the memory tab and see if Swap is anything above zero. Swap is HDD space used to temporarily hold memory items when memory gets tight. How much memory do you have installed? Oh, and what version of OSX?
I don't see swap listed anywhere. I have the latest software version and the SSD is 120gb.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Launch Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder). Click on the "Memory" tab. The "Swap Used" will be at the bottom of the screen.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
joeg679

Got it. It's at 0
QUOTE Thanks
bonds1972

bonds1972 is on a distinguished road

What version is your Mac OS?
You could try reading this thread, maybe it is a similar problem..
MacBook Hard drive filled with Backups??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading from OSX 6.8 | Upgrade from 10.4.6 to mountain lion »