New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

light the OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

k66

k66 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm new with a MBP & Mavericks.
The system is in a full USB key (8 GB) and I would . light the OS X
Drive Genius propose to remove 690 MB. The biggest files are fonts; so, what are the necessary? DG presents me a long list: Hannotate, Kali, Hanzipen... In the folder there are 217!
And in the "cache" there are 606 files, can I delete everything?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

By "light the OS X," are you referring to deleting things from the installer? If so, I'd highly recommend against that. In all honesty, it's easier to just get a second thumb drive.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

I believe that the OP is rather unclear as to what the situation is or what he/she expects to achieve.

To the OP ..... are you saying that your hard disk is full or that the thumb drive is full, and if yes, what makes to say you want to delete those folders and not others.
I am only trying to paint a picture for myself, because I don't understand your post.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
k66

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
I believe that the OP is rather unclear as to what the situation is or what he/she expects to achieve.

To the OP ..... are you saying that your hard disk is full or that the thumb drive is full, and if yes, what makes to say you want to delete those folders and not others.
I am only trying to paint a picture for myself, because I don't understand your post.
Thanks
If I'm the OP (what it means ? Original Postier ?)...
The boot USB disk is full.
I talk about fonts & caches because Drive Genius propose to remove 690 MB.
The biggest files are fonts; so, what are the necessary?
In the folder there are 217! & Of course the system don't needs all these to run.
And the "cache" I understand are not necessary...

I try to make some free espace for some tools on the little USB disk.

QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Are you saying that you are running your MBP from a USB Stick/key/thumbdrive? If so why that and not it's internal drive?
QUOTE Thanks
k66

Because I wish to have the thumbdrive with tools for repairing & maintenance needs

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by k66 View Post
Because I wish to have the thumbdrive with tools for repairing & maintenance needs

Instead of using an 8gig USB stick...just use a 16gig or larger.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
k66

Thanks guys for your ways.
My goal is to know.
Maybe somebody can answer my questions ? :
Which fonts are necessary?
Can I delete everything in the "cache"?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

f you go to Applications > Font Book you will see a list of fonts required by the system and applications you have installed. Do not remove any. Cache can be cleared as you see fit but will require more work visiting sites, using passwords etc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
zero_out

zero_out is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would . light the OS X
Drive Genius propose to remove 690 MB. The biggest files are fonts
DO NOT use DG to delete "unused localizations" as it does not distinguish "Base.lproj" as a much needed "language" file. It will break programs all over the place. Guaranteed.
QUOTE Thanks
zero_out

Quote:
Because I wish to have the thumbdrive with tools for repairing & maintenance needs.
I ALWAYS separate a partition drive for repair purposes. Much faster and more convenient.
QUOTE Thanks
zero_out

Quote:
I talk about fonts & caches because Drive Genius propose to remove 690 MB. The biggest files are fonts
I do not believe Drive Genius offers to delete ANY of your fonts, BTW. It does offer to delete unused language files (.lproj). DO NOT do it with DG as it will break you in a bad way.

Use Monolingual instead.
QUOTE Thanks
Flavacraze

Flavacraze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4

DG has broken my computer many-a-time and the only way to fix the problem is to either A) format/reinstall or B) tedious other things...
I always opt for A and this is a bummer but B seems tedious.

On the note of Monolingual: I have tried installing it to no avail. I go to the download site and download the current release but inevitably when I mount it and drag to Applications and then try to run it, it says it is damaged and must be moved to the trash... anyone else having this issue? I have tried getting previous releases too... same problem.

Sorry to hijack thread but I saw Monolingual and figured I'd throw that issue into the mix... presumably anyone else trying to install it will have the same problem as I am. Also, I'm running the latest version of Maverick's, on a mac mini, in mac-town, in macountry.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You have run into Gatekeeper. Do a search here. Right-click select Open on the app.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Flavacraze

Flavacraze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4

Gatekeeper not the issue... initially when I tried to open it I got the standard gatekeeper, gate but control-clicked that badboy and opened.

It is saying "Damaged and must be moved to trash" and then my options are "Move to Trash" or "Cancel"... everytime.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to restore bookmarks in Chrome | Help debugging this error causing kernal panic »