Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    May 04, 2014
    Posts
    5
    issues post clean install
    Hello all

    Please move this if it's in the wrong place. My macbook pro (mid 2010 base 15") was running slow and sluggish so I decided to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install. The process went as should until the download/install was complete and it was booting back up for me to re-enter my settings. It would not go past the screen with the apple logo and spinning gear. After about 30 minutes or so, I thought there was an error in the download/install. So I attempted to restore from a back up and the same thing happened. It out so past the screen with the logo and spinning gear. What is the cause of this and how is it fixed? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,398
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Just so we know...what OS version was it running...and what OS version did you try to install?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    May 04, 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Just so we know...what OS version was it running...and what OS version did you try to install?

    - Nick
    10.9.2 for both

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,398
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mentaljohn View Post
    10.9.2 for both
    Thanks for the fast reply. One more question...what was the procedure you used to do the reinstall? Did you reinstall via the recovery partition, use a bootable USB stick, etc.?

    Let me add. the symptoms that you were experiencing (slow & sluggish)...and now having problems reinstalling the OS. Both of these situations could indicate a dead or dying hard drive. And it's very possible that a replacement HD may be needed.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    May 04, 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply. One more question...what was the procedure you used to do the reinstall? Did you reinstall via the recovery partition, use a bootable USB stick, etc.?

    Let me add. the symptoms that you were experiencing (slow & sluggish)...and now having problems reinstalling the OS. Both of these situations could indicate a dead or dying hard drive. And it's very possible that a replacement HD may be needed.

    - Nick
    I used the recovery partition and downloaded osx via an ethetent connection.

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,398
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mentaljohn View Post
    I used the recovery partition and downloaded osx via an ethetent connection.
    Ok great. Normally this is a very straightforward process. That's why I mentioned that the HD "could" be going bad.

    Only thing I can suggest is:

    - boot into the recovery partition
    - launch Disk Utility
    - reformat the disk
    - run Disk Utility's "Repair Disk"
    - then retry the OS install

    If this doesn't work...I'm feeling the HD may be going/gone bad.

    * Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7


    Member Since
    May 04, 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Ok great. Normally this is a very straightforward process. That's why I mentioned that the HD "could" be going bad.

    Only thing I can suggest is:

    - boot into the recovery partition
    - launch Disk Utility
    - reformat the disk
    - run Disk Utility's "Repair Disk"
    - then retry the OS install

    If this doesn't work...I'm feeling the HD may be going/gone bad.

    * Nick
    Well I did what you said
    Re formatted the disk again
    Ran both verify and repair disk (both came back as ok)
    Tried the install (from my back up) again.
    Ended up at the same place. Apple logo with the spinning gear and the fans running full fore.

    Looks like I need a hard drive

    EDIT-I should add my password prompt didn't appear on start up after any of my attempts where it did before.
    Last edited by mentaljohn; 05-04-2014 at 07:05 PM.

  8. #8

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,398
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mentaljohn View Post
    Tried the install (from my back up) again.
    This is the part I'm not clear on. If there is something wrong with this "backup"…then this could be the problem. How about trying to do the OS install from a fresh download of Mavericks?

    If the OS install doesn't go well from the fresh Mavericks download…then maybe we conclude (more definitely)…that the HD may be a goner.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9


    Member Since
    May 04, 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    This is the part I'm not clear on. If there is something wrong with this "backup"…then this could be the problem. How about trying to do the OS install from a fresh download of Mavericks?

    If the OS install doesn't go well from the fresh Mavericks download…then maybe we conclude (more definitely)…that the HD may be a goner.

    - Nick
    Sadly my results were the same. Successful download and install but won't boot

  10. #10

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,398
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mentaljohn View Post
    Sadly my results were the same. Successful download and install but won't boot
    The last thing you could try is…booting the computer from an external hard drive with an OS installed on it (if you have one). If this is done…and the computer boots successfully from the external HD…then this would further indicate a problem with the internal HD.

    The internal HD probably is bad…this is just one more way to help confirm it. But if you don't have an external HD to do this with…probably still a high probability the internal HD is bad (so probably just get one & replace it..

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Clean install of 10.6 from USB drive (from install disk)
    By JoshJ in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 11:56 AM
  2. How to install OS X on clean system (not clean install) question
    By panda78 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 06:30 AM
  3. Unable to Install iLife09 on Clean Install Snow Leopard
    By vinodlive in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 05:37 PM
  4. How to install iLife on Snow Leopard (clean install)
    By jonlong in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 07:45 PM
  5. Need to Re-install Leopard - Clean Install This Time
    By TWBuddha in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 05:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •