New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

issues post clean install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mentaljohn

mentaljohn is on a distinguished road

Hello all

Please move this if it's in the wrong place. My macbook pro (mid 2010 base 15") was running slow and sluggish so I decided to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install. The process went as should until the download/install was complete and it was booting back up for me to re-enter my settings. It would not go past the screen with the apple logo and spinning gear. After about 30 minutes or so, I thought there was an error in the download/install. So I attempted to restore from a back up and the same thing happened. It out so past the screen with the logo and spinning gear. What is the cause of this and how is it fixed? Thanks for any help and suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Just so we know...what OS version was it running...and what OS version did you try to install?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mentaljohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Just so we know...what OS version was it running...and what OS version did you try to install?

- Nick
10.9.2 for both
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaljohn View Post
10.9.2 for both
Thanks for the fast reply. One more question...what was the procedure you used to do the reinstall? Did you reinstall via the recovery partition, use a bootable USB stick, etc.?

Let me add. the symptoms that you were experiencing (slow & sluggish)...and now having problems reinstalling the OS. Both of these situations could indicate a dead or dying hard drive. And it's very possible that a replacement HD may be needed.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
mentaljohn

Quote:
Thanks for the fast reply. One more question...what was the procedure you used to do the reinstall? Did you reinstall via the recovery partition, use a bootable USB stick, etc.?

Let me add. the symptoms that you were experiencing (slow & sluggish)...and now having problems reinstalling the OS. Both of these situations could indicate a dead or dying hard drive. And it's very possible that a replacement HD may be needed.

- Nick
I used the recovery partition and downloaded osx via an ethetent connection.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I used the recovery partition and downloaded osx via an ethetent connection.
Ok great. Normally this is a very straightforward process. That's why I mentioned that the HD "could" be going bad.

Only thing I can suggest is:

- boot into the recovery partition
- launch Disk Utility
- reformat the disk
- run Disk Utility's "Repair Disk"
- then retry the OS install

If this doesn't work...I'm feeling the HD may be going/gone bad.

* Nick

QUOTE Thanks
mentaljohn

Quote:
Ok great. Normally this is a very straightforward process. That's why I mentioned that the HD "could" be going bad.

Only thing I can suggest is:

- boot into the recovery partition
- launch Disk Utility
- reformat the disk
- run Disk Utility's "Repair Disk"
- then retry the OS install

If this doesn't work...I'm feeling the HD may be going/gone bad.

* Nick
Well I did what you said
Re formatted the disk again
Ran both verify and repair disk (both came back as ok)
Tried the install (from my back up) again.
Ended up at the same place. Apple logo with the spinning gear and the fans running full fore.

Looks like I need a hard drive

EDIT-I should add my password prompt didn't appear on start up after any of my attempts where it did before.

Last edited by mentaljohn; 05-04-2014 at 07:05 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Tried the install (from my back up) again.
This is the part I'm not clear on. If there is something wrong with this "backup"…then this could be the problem. How about trying to do the OS install from a fresh download of Mavericks?

If the OS install doesn't go well from the fresh Mavericks download…then maybe we conclude (more definitely)…that the HD may be a goner.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
mentaljohn

Quote:
This is the part I'm not clear on. If there is something wrong with this "backup"…then this could be the problem. How about trying to do the OS install from a fresh download of Mavericks?

If the OS install doesn't go well from the fresh Mavericks download…then maybe we conclude (more definitely)…that the HD may be a goner.

- Nick
Sadly my results were the same. Successful download and install but won't boot
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Sadly my results were the same. Successful download and install but won't boot
The last thing you could try is…booting the computer from an external hard drive with an OS installed on it (if you have one). If this is done…and the computer boots successfully from the external HD…then this would further indicate a problem with the internal HD.

The internal HD probably is bad…this is just one more way to help confirm it. But if you don't have an external HD to do this with…probably still a high probability the internal HD is bad (so probably just get one & replace it..

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac.com email not working | Add Save As Command to Preview > File Menu? »