Encrypting an external USB HDD

Specs:
    2013 ,15" MBPR, 2.3GHZ i7, 8GB DDR3, 250GB SSD, YOSEMITE 10.10
    my external USB HDD has been made both writeable and readable, I thought encrypting it was easy, I simply right clicked it in “Finder” and chose “Encrypt” put in the pw, but it then has a window that pops up and says: “A GUID Partition Table (GPT) partitioning scheme is required”
    is this correct? If so how do I get the GPT for the external USB HDD? And does it make a difference to me saving files onto it, whether on pc or mac?

i read http://thetechjournal.com/how-to/tutorial-how-to-encrypt-external-drives-on-mac-os-x-lion.xhtml
    and it says "Step 5: From dropdown menu choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted) and under Name type a name for your drive"

but l thought it had to be EX FAT to be compatible in both pc and mac? kindly enlighten me

thanks in advance

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 6 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    You cannot encrypt the drive on OSX and read it on Windows. If you use OSX encryption on the drive you'll only be able to read it on OSX.

In order to use OSX's encryption you'll need to reformat the drive as MacOS Extended as the system advises you.

Specs:
    2013 ,15" MBPR, 2.3GHZ i7, 8GB DDR3, 250GB SSD, YOSEMITE 10.10
    thanks, so if want to read and write from the pw protected External HDD on a pc, l would need to transfer the files on my PW protected MacOS Extended format HDD onto computer, then erase the HDD and reformat it to EX FAT and transfer it back onto the EX FAT HDD from computer, so the exernal HDD be read and writeable on the pc?
    is it not possible to just protect part of the external HDD, by having it in MacOS Extended format and rest in EX FAT format? l could create a pw disk image with files inside but that could be simply deleted.

thanks again
    Last edited by Applet; 05-04-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    You might want to give something like 1Password a look. It has Mac, Windows, and IOS versions. This page has a licensing wizard to help you choose the right license as well as a link to some other licensing questions.

I realize this is not exactly a cheap option since it appears you would need a Mac and Windows version. There may be other password protection/encryption options out there with similar features.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information