New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Devices Not Showing Up in Finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

The G-Drive that I use for my Time Machine backup does not show up on the desktop or in the Finder window sidebar.

I Trashed the com.apple.finder.plist and relaunched the Finder and ReStarted, but it did not help.

Any ideas, gents.

My OS = 10.9.2.

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
leadfoot

leadfoot is on a distinguished road

Have look under disk utility and see if the drive is mounted or not.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
Have look under disk utility and see if the drive is mounted or not.
It appears to be there. Now what?

Disk Utility Pic.pdf

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Try selecting the drive (clicking on it) in the list on the left side of the window. Now make sure you are in the First Aid tab and click Repair Disk. Directions here

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Try selecting the drive (clicking on it) in the list on the left side of the window. Now make sure you are in the First Aid tab and click Repair Disk. Directions here

I did it. This is what I got:

"Disk Utility stopped repairing 'G-Drive mobile'

"Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I doubt re-formatting the drive will resolve the problem, but if it doesn't cause you to lose any data you should go ahead and try anyway. Of course if there's data on there that you need, try to copy it off the drive first. That may not be possible if the drive won't mount. In that situation you probably will need a more robust utility to repair the drive and extract your data from it. The best at doing that is Disk Warrior 4 but is rather expensive at $99.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I doubt re-formatting the drive will resolve the problem, but if it doesn't cause you to lose any data you should go ahead and try anyway. Of course if there's data on there that you need, try to copy it off the drive first. That may not be possible if the drive won't mount. In that situation you probably will need a more robust utility to repair the drive and extract your data from it. The best at doing that is Disk Warrior 4 but is rather expensive at $99.

All this happened after I updated to Mavericks.

Did Mavericks destroy my backup drive?

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

No, Mavericks did not destroy your backup drive. The fact that it failed was probably coincidental. The drive may have been getting ready to fail anyway and the Time Machine backup you initiated probably put it over the top.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

@ chscag: Okay, then.

Thanks for helping me through this one. I have a 16 mb flash drive. I'll have to hand move some things over to that. Then, maybe get another G-Drive.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Make sure you check the warranty on your G drive. According to their web site and support data, their drives are warranted for 3 years. Get in touch with support and ask for a RMA for the drive. If the drive has failed and still in warranty, they'll send you another.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost admin PW | IMac boot disc »