New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Downloading While Away

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

simonvee

simonvee is an unknown at this point

Hi,

I want to be able to download a movie while I am away doing the grocery shopping without having it to go to stop.

1) Generally, when I download I leave it on battery power to prevent possible battery drainage. 2) Also, before I leave, I press the power button on my Macbook Air to prevent other people from using the laptop.

However, whenever I come back, the movie seem to have stopped downloading.

Here are my settings (shown below)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 5.13.48 pm.png (49.1 KB, 66 views)
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvee View Post
1) Generally, when I download I leave it on battery power to prevent possible battery drainage.
I think you mean you keep it plugged in? Should be anyway.

Quote:
2) Also, before I leave, I press the power button on my Macbook Air to prevent other people from using the laptop.
Don't know what that does but just lock the screen. Set up a hot corner, it IS password protected right?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What do you mean "I press the power button" - it doesn't stop there, you have to select one of the options presented - Restart, Sleep, Cancel, Shut Down.

If you're selecting Sleep - it's asleep - it's going to do about the same amount of work you do while you're asleep.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
I think you mean you keep it plugged in? Should be anyway.

Don't know what that does but just lock the screen. Set up a hot corner, it IS password protected right?
I keep it unplugged because 1) the battery last 10 hours 2) it is good for the battery to let it consume itself and 3) I usually only leave for 4 to 5 hours max

Hot corner? I have not heard about that

It's password protected yes. That's if you're talking about the 'user password' when logging into my account
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
What do you mean "I press the power button" - it doesn't stop there, you have to select one of the options presented - Restart, Sleep, Cancel, Shut Down.

If you're selecting Sleep - it's asleep - it's going to do about the same amount of work you do while you're asleep.
Maybe it is different with the new Macbook Air but when I press the 'power' button for about 2 seconds, the screen goes blank/black and when pressing any key the login screen appears which one must type a password to log into my account. In short, I believe that is the alternative way of letting in go to sleep.

So you are saying that it will not stop downloading when it is alseep? For me, in my scenario, it stops downloading.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Do you do any work while you are asleep?

QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

Haha oh I see

Is there a way to get around this. Namely, lock my account while letting the computer download. Hot corner?
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

From my assumption, from implementing a hot corner, when I drag my mouse to the bottom right screen for instance, the screen saver appears which will require my password to log onto Mac OS. However, with this 'hot corner' method, the computer does not go to sleep. Thus, does not stop downloads/installations/uploads/video editing processing etc, is that correct?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

That should be correct - start a download and give it a try - wait a few minutes and log back in to check it out.

QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

Neat! It works

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
I keep it unplugged because 1) the battery last 10 hours 2) it is good for the battery to let it consume itself and 3) I usually only leave for 4 to 5 hours max

...CLIP
Actually, it's NOT good for the battery. Apple uses Lithium batteries, which don't like a deep discharge. They prefer to be kept topped up. Apple recommends draining them once a month, but that's not for the battery, it's for the battery monitoring software to be recalibrated.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

I just discovered something. If I leave my Mac idle for a few hours to let it download, without plugging in the power adapter, the computer sleeps regardless of what settings I have. The only way to leave my Mac for a few hours or over-night and let it download is by plugging in the power adapter.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
I just discovered something. If I leave my Mac idle for a few hours to let it download, without plugging in the power adapter, the computer sleeps regardless of what settings I have. The only way to leave my Mac for a few hours or over-night and let it download is by plugging in the power adapter.
And leave it plugged in. As MacInWin posted above yours, its not good to let the battery run down in the Portable Macs. I have had mine plugged in 24/7 for the last 18months with a couple of weeks of nights away, and I still have 100% health of 5570 aMH I'm at 5565 aMH, so you need to get out of this Unplugging and thinking your doing you battery good. The more cycles you do, the less time it will last over the years.
Calibrate your battery as stated by Apple once every couple of months if need be, but thats all.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
simonvee

Will do, that's important advice. Batteries for Macbooks aren't cheap to fix.

Where do you do find the detail of aMH?
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

Quote:
Actually, it's NOT good for the battery. Apple uses Lithium batteries, which don't like a deep discharge. They prefer to be kept topped up. Apple recommends draining them once a month, but that's not for the battery, it's for the battery monitoring software to be recalibrated.
And after all this time I thought it was the benefit for the battery. Learn something new everyday.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein

Last edited by chscag; 05-05-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Placed quotes the OP forgot.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't save to my own desktop | Created dates overwritten by OS »