New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading to Maverick?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hschaars

hschaars is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 3MB shared L2 cache, 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM;320GB SATA

Do you think it's worth it to upgrade my Macmini to Mavericks? I'm running 10.6.8. Will all my apps and printers work or do I have to download new printer drivers?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschaars View Post
Do you think it's worth it to upgrade my Macmini to Mavericks?
Depends how you measure "worth it". Folks upgrade their OS for different reasons. Personally...my #1 reason to upgrade to a new OS version are new features that interest me. There have been times in the past...where if the new OS version didn't have any features that interested me...I didn't upgrade.

Quote:
I'm running 10.6.8. Will all my apps and printers work or do I have to download new printer drivers?
To check app compatibility...use this:

Application compatibility table - RoaringApps

As far as drivers. Yes...you may need to download drivers. Since you're currently running 10.6.8...upgrading to 10.9.x is a pretty big jump.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

Mac Specs: Mac mini, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 3MB shared L2 cache, 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM;320GB SATA

OK, what about upgrading to Mountain Lion? The reason I'm asking is I'm running 1Password and there will be no more upgrades to OX 10.6.8 only to Mountain Lion and Mavericks. Or maybe I should just leave everything alone since everything is working OK.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OK, what about upgrading to Mountain Lion? The reason I'm asking is I'm running 1Password and there will be no more upgrades to OX 10.6.8 only to Mountain Lion and Mavericks. Or maybe I should just leave everything alone since everything is working OK.
You've got three choices for an OS upgrade:

- 10.7 Lion
- 10.8 Mountain Lion
- 10.9 Mavericks

You need to check how much of an impact any of these upgrades will effect you. "Impact" meaning...app compatibility/incompatibility...and/or new drivers for peripherals.

You certainly don't want to "cure" any compatibility issues with 1Password with an OS upgrade...if $1000's of dollars apps you've purchased are then made incompatible.

This is why I provided the link above...for you to check app compatibility with Mavericks (the original question). Only you know what apps you have (or which ones are the most important). Then check the link.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

If compatibility with 1Password is your main concern...isn't the 1Password version you are currently using running fine?

Do you expect future upgrades/updates to 1Password to be so revolutionary (features)...that you will just have to upgrade?

- If so...then upgrading your computers OS to take advantage of these features may be worth it.
- But if not...then upgrading your computers OS may be unnecessary (and potentially cause app compatibility issues). But you need to check on this first.

Basically...if you find (after checking) that you have no application or peripheral compatibility issues...then I would say upgrade your computers OS to at least 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or 10.9 (Mavericks). 10.6.8 is getting old.

Read this for more on Snow Leopard..."End of Life":

Apple's end of support for Snow Leopard leaves Mac users open to malware- The Inquirer

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

Any idea when 10.6.8 will be ending? Should I upgrade soon or wait? I guess I'll upgrade to 10.8. I'll have to reinstall one of my printers and maybe 2 apps. When reinstalling the printer, should I uninstall the current one?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Any idea when 10.6.8 will be ending?
Did you read the link in my last post?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
hschaars

Yes I did. I guess I should start doing my upgrades now.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Yes I did. I guess I should start doing my upgrades now.
You got it. Honestly...it's not like the "skying is falling"...so it must be done ASAP. But do it when you can.

I have some older Mac's that I run 10.6 on. Some can be upgraded & some cannot. But for best security...a newer (still supported) OS is best.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

496th ask. If your machine can run Mavericks get into it.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
katiegurl

katiegurl is on a distinguished road

Biggest mistake I ever made. The download went smoothly, but the new software is very bad. We use MAC for business, and I am sure that apple has hired pc programmers because the new versions of our old programs are riddled with the stupid stuff that MS did. Hate it, and my partner hears about it every day. I was able to go back to IWorks on a few things. I moved to Mozilla and dumped Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Katie first question. Did you download Mavericks, burn to a USB thumb drive and do an erase and format of the hard drive and a clean install? Software runs fine on Mavericks unless you are using some older PowerPC applications such as Windows 2004 etc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
katiegurl

katiegurl is on a distinguished road

Hi Harry. I have nothing PC on my Mac unless there is some silly app, and I am not missing it. I HATE the new Pages (gads they got rid of such normal commands as "save as" which is business you use daily) and made it so complicated it looks just like a MS program. Seriously, Jobs died and they decided to go PC on us. I figure, if I am going to have to deal with the ridiculous program stunts on the newer Apple software, then I might as well pay 1/3 the price for my next business computer and get a PC. After 25 years I walked on PC's, and now I see the same issues turning up in Apple and am so sad. What I am dealing with is stupid programming. As I said, I am able to run a few of the older programs, but the newer Apple software I am simply shifting to other programmers, such as Mozilla.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

You don't get it. Who said anything about PCs? PowerPC are older Macintosh applications. Don't know where you go next as sounds like you are not gonna be happy.

QUOTE Thanks
bonds1972

bonds1972 is on a distinguished road

As chas_m mentioned, you don't need 'save as' anymore because I think iWork keep all previous version of your documents. But if you really need it, what I always do is duplicate my document and save it to a different file.

Just my two cents, although It seems this seems out of the original topic. Mavericks has been working great for me, no complaint. My usage is mostly photo editing, iWork, web, and emails.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does adguard - adblocker work on safari? | Finder crashes.... »