Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Disk Utility won't let me erase a SD Card (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/310968-disk-utility-wont-let-me-erase-sd-card.html)

JCLanz 04-29-2014 10:13 PM

Disk Utility won't let me erase a SD Card
 
Hi there! I need your help.
I can't format my new SD Card with Disk Utility. I have looked the switch on the left side of the card and it's unlocked and also I have tried pressing Command + R during startup to access disk utility but it didn't let me erase my card either.
I hope you can help me.

http://drakographics.com/wp/wp-conte...7.10.39-PM.png

RavingMac 04-29-2014 10:25 PM

I saw a tip recently on SD cards that had been formatted Ex-FAT and couldn't be formatted using Disk Utility.
Try booting from an OS Install drive if you have one (USB Stick is supposed to work) and access Disk Utility that way.

chscag 04-29-2014 10:27 PM

This is a problem that you run into with some SD cards. I have two SD cards that are exactly the same and Disk Utility refuses to format them. The cards in question can be formatted in a camera but not with using Disk Utility. I also have a smaller SD card that can be formatted by Disk Utility.

The card that can be formatted is made by SanDisk, the ones that refuse to be formatted are made by PNY. The SanDisk is an "Ultra", while the PNY cards are "Premiums".

JCLanz 04-29-2014 10:30 PM

It didn't worked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RavingMac (Post 1580651)
I saw a tip recently on SD cards that had been formatted Ex-FAT and couldn't be formatted using Disk Utility.
Try booting from an OS Install drive if you have one (USB Stick is supposed to work) and access Disk Utility that way.

I have already tried that, and it didn't worked :Shouting:

RavingMac 04-29-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1580652)
This is a problem that you run into with some SD cards. I have two SD cards that are exactly the same and Disk Utility refuses to format them. The cards in question can be formatted in a camera but not with using Disk Utility. I also have a smaller SD card that can be formatted by Disk Utility.

The card that can be formatted is made by SanDisk, the ones that refuse to be formatted are made by PNY. The SanDisk is an "Ultra", while the PNY cards are "Premiums".

Actually, the tip referred specifically to problems formatting PNY StoreEdge SD Cards. Some (or perhaps all) are being shipped formatted Ex-FAT and then can't be reformatted OS X Extended without booting from an install disk first.
Found tip in Amazon comments.

chscag 04-29-2014 10:34 PM

Like I said above, some SD cards can be formatted with Disk Utility, some can not. But they all seem to be able to be formatted in a camera.

RavingMac 04-29-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCLanz (Post 1580654)
I have already tried that, and it didn't worked :Shouting:

I was going to suggest before Charlie posted, but you might try formatting it in a camera to see if it works that way.

EDIT: I see that I still type too slow . . . ;)

chscag 04-29-2014 10:37 PM

Thanks for the tip about PNY cards Mike, but I've tried formatting them even as FAT-32 and they refuse. I guess I could try the tip about booting from an install disk to see if that will work.

RavingMac 04-29-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1580660)
Thanks for the tip about PNY cards Mike, but I've tried formatting them even as FAT-32 and they refuse. I guess I could try the tip about booting from an install disk to see if that will work.

Haven't tried it myself. I only buy Sandisk (and a smattering of Transcend) SD cards.

harryb2448 04-30-2014 12:49 AM

Select the Apple SD Card and see how you go. Not partitioned I take it?

chscag 04-30-2014 12:53 AM

I messed up Harry and bought some cheap PNY cards on sale in a discount store. But you know how it is, when you're retired you try to save on whatever you can.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.