New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do I route system sounds to USB audio?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CorySCline

CorySCline is on a distinguished road

I own An M-Track USB audio interface. Music, Videos, and Applications in general all route audio to this device properly. In sound settings, both Input and Output are set to the M-Track. The problem is that system sounds specifically still route to the built in speakers. This is a problem since a lot of my work is done overnight while my wife is sleeping. These random sounds wake her up. Please help me figure out how to fix this.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'm sure there are other options but if I recall correctly Audio Hijack Pro can do this.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

This should work for everything except startup bongs.
Attached Images
File Type: png Sound 2014-04-30 03-32-10 2014-04-30 03-32-21.png (47.0 KB, 13 views)

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Maybe I am misunderstanding something but I'm not sure that will do what the OP wants. Lets suppose that the OP selects a sound device connected to the USB port. Because that is the sound device that is selected system sounds will be sent there as well IIRC.

Found a description of how to do this with Audio Hijack Pro (not free but worth the money). In the video the guy is routing Safari audio through the headset and other audio through the speakers. Try his directions setting the system sounds to go elsewhere like the speakers (or mute them). Other sounds can be sent to the interface.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/04...tputs-in-os-x/

He says there are other ways to do it and I am sure there are. One of the programs I used to use for this is no longer being developed though.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Last edited by Slydude; 04-30-2014 at 08:20 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Re-reading the OP's post I think you're right, he doesn't want them to be outputed to the USB device and mess up his work.
In that case he needs to disconnect the USB device, set the Alert volume and output volume to 0, then reconnect the USB device.
The volumes are separate for each device.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Running out of HDD space | mac mini makes a noise »