New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do you

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Donothing

Donothing is on a distinguished road

Delete temp file and were are they?

Thanks Donothing
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Temp files for what? Every application stores temporary content in different ways and in different places.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Donothing

For my imac
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

We need application names. Temp files are not universal - they are all created by specific applications. Are you trying to fix a problem? If so, we need to know what applications you're trying to delete the temp files for.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Donothing

Never mind I'll figure it out.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donothing View Post
Never mind I'll figure it out.
That's fine, but you posted the question and we were just trying to understand the basis of it.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Donothing

I'm new to Mac on windows you can go to a dir and delete temp files I guess it isn't that easy on a Mac
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yeah, that directory on a Mac is "/tmp". So, actually, it IS just as easy on a Mac.

Being new to a Mac means that you are learning, which means you have to help us teach you what you want to learn and what you want to know.

Unlike Windows, Mac is based on Unix which deals with tmp files/folders in a different way. You don't build up cruft over time and need to manually deal with it.

If you are interested in clearing your Browsers cache, you do so from within the Browser itself. If there is another applications temporary history you wish to delete, it'd be good to know what that application is.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason for you to manually delete files in the temp folder.

And, oh, punctuations please!

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, first thing to do is to forget all that ridiculous maintenance, cleaning, deleting, etc. you did in Windows - for the most part - not required to keep OS X running fast.

Hang out and read a lot of posts or ask specific questions and we can lead you in the correct direction - most of us were (probably a lot of us still are) very much tied to Windows - a lot of differences between there and OS X.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Donothing

Thank You.
I guess I will learn about my iMac and punctuation at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

I will say that your thread title and screen name made me chuckle. When I read it together on the Forum list it said "How do you" "Donothing." I do nothing by putting my feet up and closing my eyes.

I'll also chime in on what bobtomay said. OSX is a lot more maintenance free than Windows. I run Onyx about once a year, maybe twice, to clean out caches, etc, otherwise it runs 24/7 unless I have to move the MBP for some reason. No registry to clean, no disk fragmentation to worry about (mostly), no viruses and little malware. When I came from Windows I couldn't believe how little maintenance OSX took. I got to use my machine to DO stuff instead of doing stuff TO IT! What a concept!

Welcome to Mac, OSX and this forum. Come back and ask questions and don't be surprised if those of us who hang out come back to ask more information from you. We do that so we can get to the "real" goal of your questions, particularly if it sounds 'Windows-ish'.
QUOTE Thanks
Donothing

Thanks Jake
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
.... I got to use my machine to DO stuff instead of doing stuff TO IT! What a concept!
Amen.

That is exactly the reason I switched from Windows to OS X and I enjoy every second of it.
To learn OS X, forget all about the windows mindset and you will have a great time.
If you stick to the windows mindset, you will make it a lot harder on yourself

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Amen.

That is exactly the reason I switched from Windows to OS X and I enjoy every second of it.
To learn OS X, forget all about the windows mindset and you will have a great time.
If you stick to the windows mindset, you will make it a lot harder on yourself

Cheers ... McBie
On top of using BlackViper's service configuration tweaks since the Win98 days - I had this habit on my windows gaming machines of a 2-4 hr maintenance routine I did "every" Saturday morning just to keep my machine and my games from slowing down.

Think it took me over a year to totally get use to not having to fix it before it broke.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The primary answer to the question the OP asked is "you don't."

They are TEMP files. That's short for TEMPORARY. As in, they delete themselves when they are no longer needed.

Unless some application is misbehaving, that's what normally happens. So the user doesn't need to do anything at all.

Now if you have reason to think that some app is misbehaving and not deleting its temp files, let us know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« loading ring | Mac crashes very often when moved »