New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Using Windows in "Boot Camp" mode

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluepokerdog

bluepokerdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.5GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz

I want to use my iMac in Windows using a copy of Vista that i have for my Dell computer. Can i simply load from the CD or do i have to purchase a fresh copy of Windows? If it's new-time, guess i'd go to Windows 8.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You can not use the Dell version of Windows Vista as it will not install. As for choosing a version of Windows to use, I personally would stay away from Windows 8 or 8.1 and instead buy a copy of Windows 7 x 64 bit full install. However, the choice is yours.
QUOTE Thanks
bluepokerdog

chscag, why do you recommend Windows 7 and not Windows 8? My iMac has the 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 processor which i assume is a 64bit system and adequate for a Windows installation?

Thanks, bliuedog
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I never said your iMac couldn't run Windows 8 did I? Your iMac is capable of running both Windows 7 x 64 bit and Windows 8 x 64 bit. Didn't you notice that I recommended the 64 bit version of Windows 7?

The reason I recommended Windows 7 over 8 is the terrible interface of Windows 8 and 8.1. But as I stated in my first reply, the choice is yours. If you like the "Metro" look of Windows 8, then go for it. But remember whichever you choose, you need a full 64 bit install version that is either MS boxed or an OEM system builder's version. (Upgrades will not work.)
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Got to agree with chacag. Windows 8 is a mess, half way between a tablet and PC operating system.
In my opinion Windows 7 64 bit is the way to go
QUOTE Thanks
bluepokerdog

Thanks docx and chscag for your replies. Not being a PC guy, i have no idea what the good/bad is for W7 versus W8. Your responses make it now make some sense.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bookmarks in Safari 6.1.3 disappearing | Late 2011 MacBook Pro Freezes »